March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / News / Kitase: Final Fantasy VII remake will take 5 years

pixel
"So therefore in my eyes Advent Children is anime"

No... It really isn't. I don't see how you have such a hard time admitting CGI is a new medium. Acrylic and oil paints are both paint, but entireley different mediums. That's about the comparison of US cartoons to anime. Comparing anime to CGI is like painting to sculpting. Both are art, but it's drastically different. It's a new medium, something that you never even take a pencil to in order to create it. Chalking it off as anime because you have a lack of a better term puts you off in a corner of your own denile filled world. It's just easier for you to consider it anime then realize it's an entirely different branch off for some reason.

As for the Nozue comment, check anywhere on the internet. IMDB

Directed by
Hironobu Sakaguchi
Moto Sakakibara (co-director)

The back of the DVD case which I'm holding right now reads
"Co-Director - Moto Sakakibara"
So where did you get your notes? You DO realize I was refering to Spirits Within, as it was originally brought about the comment before hand, where there was argument to FF:TSW not being anime because it was created by Americans. Is it really that hard for you to follow a conversation?

Ya know, gotta appreciate the double standard. Stupid fucking fanboys freak if you call YuYu Hakushu a cartoon, refuting with "it's not a cartoon... it's anime", yet in Japan they call our stuff anime. Regardless of whatever the hell they call it, considering Advent Children a cartoon OR anime, you're really wrong. I can guarantee you when it's released in America, it won't be sitting in the anime section of DVD racks at stores. It'll get dropped into action or sci-fi... Because it's not a fucking anime.

God you're dense, Nephtis.
staff
pixel
CG isn't necessarily 3D: Spirited Away and My Neighbors the Yamadas were both computer-generated. Steamboy incorporates 3D CG and Appleseed (2004) is strictly 3D CG. Yet all of these maintain a certain cel-animated (or manga, if you will) aesthetic often attributed to anime. So, I think it's a little too simple to call anime the eastern analogue of "cartoon" since the term "anime" has taken on connotations of a distinctive style unique to Japan, while "cartoon" is more of a catchall term. "Anime" as strictly denoting the geographical origin of an animated feature seems a bit too narrow; animators can create anime in Belgium for all I care and the animators don't have to be Japanese. And "anime" as Japanese shorthand does have an etymological basis, but actually using it as such is kind of quaint.

In the end, splitting hairs is lame. Advent Children is a 3D-animated and CG-animated feature. But is AC anime? If you think of anime as a style and an adjective, why not? Sure, FFVII lacks the cel-animation aesthetic I referred to earlier, but going by another narrow definition forwarded earlier--"characterized by stylized colorful art, futuristic settings, violence, and sex"--let's see. Stylized? Check. Futuristic settings? Check. Violence? Check. Sex? Check.
staff
pixel
I think I have to comment again, as much as I don't want to. CGI WHILE being a new medium is STILL animation. I study cinema you know, and I watch anime interviews. Rintaro talks about CGI as a new medium in which he can see being used more and more in the industry of ANIMATION. I study this shit in university, do you? If so, I hope you realise you're doing horribly badly. Oh, and CG has been used in animation for a long time. I think The Rescuers Down Under was one of the earlier Disney animations that Pixar worked on certain scenes. Akira was made in 1988 and it's use of new technology is still respected today. CG is not new, the use of it to make an entire film isn't essentially new either.

Hand-drawn animation and computer animation are both forms of animation, go figure. While obviously different they are still part of the same style.

Oh and that stupid definition of anime is horrible. Violence, sex, and so on are just SOME of the aspects of SOME anime. If you watch and look at anime as much as I do, you'll find it's quite extensive. Read outside of the common western readings and popular shows and you'll find anime is almost as expansive as the film world in terms of types of shows.

"It's not a cartoon" is used because anime is different to a westener's interpretation of what a 'cartoon' is. Like look at The Simpsons, and various other comedy cartoons. Aside from these and children's TV shows, cartoons in the western world are not really all that spread in terms of genre. Sure there are of course exceptions, but anime lends itself to crap loads of genres, a western cartoon does not.

I'm not a 'fanboy' I'm an academic. I study and write on anime as well as other forms of cinema and Japanese issues. It's called a 'degree' where you do research and learn things.

Oh, and for TSW, that was my bad. Going off you like you on that note was a tad excessive, but then again you are arrogant.

Oh, anime is not required to be made in Japan. It usually is, but given my definition of anime being ANIMATION it can in fact be made anywhere. If we are referring to anime as in JAPANESE anime, then yes, it should really be made in Japan. However, some exceptions have occured, by keeping within the style one can make anime outside, even if it's unlikely.

Who's more dense? The guy who studies and researches cinema, and anime in particular, or the arrogant ignorant guy arguing against him with no real points?
staff
pixel
Both of you are denser than everyone here for turning this previously interesting (though vapid) discussion of the prospects of a FFVII remake into bickering over the definition of someting I don't give a shit about in the first place.
pixel
Rahul, I really don't care what you have to say.

Nephtis,
"realise" - Realize how to spell correctly at that university you're going to. I learned that word in the third grade.

Degree or not, you're talking an entirely different CG than me. I'm talking about solely CGI films, like Chicken Little, Toy Story, Final Fantasy:TSW, Incredibles, Shark's Tale, etc. It's not anime. Yes, it's a form animation in a very loose sense(where animating means moving images), but it isn't animation in the traditional sense. By your definition, if Wallace and Gromit was made in Japan it'd be anime. That's just absurd to think about. You don't need to go to college to have a basic grasp of publicly accepted terms. Go take a poll with random people on the street and ask them if Shrek, Incredibles, or Toy Story are cartoons? You'll get a vast majority saying its computer made film. No one regards CGI as cartoons aside from yourself.

As for my definition of anime, www.dictionary.com - I just copied and pasted. I disagree with the sex and violence(although anime is known for carrying an adult tone to it, which generally means sex, violence, or deep thinking). A vast majority of anime is known for it's big tittied heroines(NGE, Cowboy Bebop, Izcer One, Bubblegum Crisis), gawking male protagonists in perverted situations(Chobits, Tenchi Muyo), fighting(Dragon Ball Z, YuYu Hakushu), or excessive and graphic violence(Akira, Ninja Scroll, Hellsing, Trinity Blood). Of course there are ones that contain none of that(studio Ghibli comes to mind), but that's a very very slim minority, and you know that. Yes, I watch a lot of anime, more than you'd probably think. I enjoy the stuff like Serial Experiments Lain, Haibane Renmei, Last Exile, Bebop, Champloo, Wolf's Rain, .hack//SIGH, Texchnolyze to name a few... But I'm not ignorant enough to consider Advent Children an anime. By your definition, all video games are anime too then because they have animators in it that bring images into movement from still life, and it's made in Japan.

Need further proof? Take Ys, a shining example to support me. The PC version had "anime cutscenes", when they released the PS2 version they released with "all new CG rendered cutscenes!". Not "with newer anime cutscenes!". Then when the PSP comes out, they're releasing it with the anime cutscenes again. Anime vs CGI. It's not the same thing. It's apparent to the fucking companies that make it... considering S-E never labeled AC as anime, yet they make note of the "Last Order" anime bonus included with the special edition... Makes you wonder?

Ever consider the possibility that your university is half-assed? It just seems like if they're the ones filling your head with this non-sense, I'd question the quality of the professors they hire.
staff
pixel
Ok, but I'm just going to ban you if you keep acting like a wanker. So it's not even up to me!
pixel
Chris: Welcome to the southern hemisphere. We spell it 'realise'. It's a cultural quirk: Indulge us.

Anime is difficult to classify. It's vague; does the term refer to stylistic aspects, or is the intent more important? If it's meant to be considered in the same field as anime, does it matter if it doesn't meet your strict definitions?

Surely someone as intelligent as yourself has considered that art is relative. That the consumption and interpretation alters its meaning between individuals. If so, then AC can be anime if Nephtis wants it to. If anyone wants it to be anything, it can be. Art isn't prescriptive, and it's certainly not definite. It's alterable, and it varies between people. So consider it a new medium if you like, but don't knock other people because they don't agree.
staff
pixel
If anime is characterized by deep thinking the same way that Randian thought is characterized by intellectual sophistication, then sure...

Nothing said really precludes the idea of "3D/CG anime" unless you cling to the idea that anime must possess a significantly 2D aesthetic. There's no reason to believe that the typical characteristics and stylings of anime can't carry over to 3D.

pixel
Google ads are still trying to sell me gil for FFXI. Yarrgh, I'm confused...
vip
pixel
Whats confusing...buy some damn gil.
pixel
You're right.....MORE GIL, MORE!!! YUKO SMASH!!!
staff
pixel
Even if you don't buy gil, clicking the link would be like giving US gil. And we all like gil.
vip
pixel
Yeah, who doesn't like Gil? When I see people (usually in some manual labor job, i.e. janitor) with the nametag, "Gil", I always say, "You know what, Gil? You're all right." And then when I walk out I spill a bunch of food all over the side of the trash can when I know he's looking and he gets all sad...AHAHAHA. Fuck Gil.
staff
pixel
This will go down again in the history books for ensuring (wait, ANOTHER variation of English!) the ads down there will forever be reminding us of Gil. Delicious sweet Gil.

Of course there are ones that contain none of that(studio Ghibli comes to mind), but that's a very very slim minority, and you know that.

Sorry, but statements like this are why I don't believe you watch much anime. You watch 'lots' - all the stuff that's common to a western audience. There's plenty of anime that has little violence and sexual themes. Not just children's anime either. Tsubasa Chronicle is airing at the moment, while 'violent' it's more a PG violent than anything else. The same blanket thing could be said about films, that most are violent or sexual in some way. And I think you totally ignored my definition of anime, which is animation. Animation being different to video games in the sense that it's film or a television show. I think that's obvious, and your 'video games' argument looks quite odd.

Oh yeah, by the way, GIL!
pixel
jeeze, theyres been talk and speculation of a remake for years, They know everyone wants it done, they should get there ass into gear and please the fans, they make enough money anyways and u know FF7 will sell well, The old fans will buy it and people who have never experienced it before can, I know loads of people who would love to play it but cant be arsed cos its a crappy PS1 game.
pixel
Out of curiousity, what uber elite anime are you getting that for some reason I don't have access to or don't watch? To be honest, you don't know that much about my interests. Please enlighten me as to what anime you watch that I'd have no clue about, Nephtis? Because honestly, it sounds like you're just spouting out bullshit for the sake of feeling superior.
vip
pixel
"I know loads of people who would love to play it but cant be arsed cos its a crappy PS1 game"

If its a crappy PS1 game, than why would people buy a remake of it? Also, I seriously would like to look at your contention that "Everyone wants it done"...could you not tell from me being adamantly against it that such a blanket statement isn't true? (And I am without a doubt not the only one). Let's try reading the other comments over and writing sensical arguements, kay Boko?

Of course, I will give you your just due for being the most talented illiterate poster on Square Haven. Congratulations.

pixel
I believe he meant crappy PS1 game as in graphics... As I know a few people like that. It looks bad, so they assume the gameplay is bad. If someone introduced Final Fantasy I to me(the NES version) and said it was an awesome game, with no previous experience with the FF series, I'd be deterred from playing it.
staff
pixel
As I have stated a hundred fucking times before, the gameplay of FFVII is fucking horrible. It looks bad. The dialogue is bad. The music is fucking crap. It PLAYS LIKE SHIT. FFVII is not a title anyone in their right mind would need remaking, as it's fucking out of date in every conceivable way except your puerile fanboy nostalgia.

If you want to play FFVII so badly again, drop a plant pot on your head and forget you ever did in the first place. I guarantee the experience will be just as "rich".
staff
pixel
Actually, that could be an argument for a remake in order to rectify FFVII's many deficiencies. *titters*
pixel
Omg....so..........so much Gil......

I can't take.....any......more.....

{vomits FFXI Gil everywhere}

...ugh...
staff
pixel
Ah Christopher, I never feel superior. It's a pet hate of mine when people generalise about anime. It comes from my pet hate of people making comments about Japanese that are ignorant. It's like anything that you learn. It might anger some people when people make horribly obvious mistakes about a Final Fantasy game, or about any other given topic they are interested in.

There's PLENTY of anime that's not overly violent and sexual in nature. His and Her Circumstances is not violent, and is barely sexual. It's a romantic comedy aimed at the female audience which involves the daily lives of a girl and a guy getting together as a couple in high school and learning about life together. I don't care if people think it 'sounds corny' or whatever, it's a great example of a popular, even (shock horror) released in western society.

Haibane Renmei. It's rated PG here for 'mature themes'. There's no sexual or violent themes, and I love it, I bought the box this year. Serial Experiments: Lain, while this is violent in parts it's not primarily a violent show.

Actually, all of these examples are available on DVD here in Australia, so I assume they are quite available to you. They however, are not the most popular over here. They aren't 'uber' and I'm not saying I'm amazingly better for having seen them.

The whole point of this is to open your eyes more to the world of anime. It's more varied than you realise. The definition of 'violence and sex' can very easily be applied to the mainstream film world. How many films do you watch these days that aren't aimed at children that are missing both of these themes? Sex and violence are common in these forms of media, to suggest it is a sign of anime in particular is generalising and I don't like it. How about you watch some of the titles I have mentioned and find out there's more to anime than the themes you argue.

Edit: Oh, and just so you know, Neowing, a Japanese company that sells products to the local and international market classes both Advent Children, and (shock horror) The Simpsons as anime. Why? Because anime means animation, it's a Japanese word after all. Translate this with the help of an online translating dictionary. The light blue symbols under the title read 'anime'
pixel
Ight... first off Rahul is a fucking retard. The dialogue is crap and the music is shit to, but it was one of the best games of its time. To remake it with better graphics and music..... im sure hundreds of die hard fans would flock to buy it. Oh and if it was suck a shitty game why do they want to remake it?
vip
pixel
Thank you Cloud for your dumbass, already-posted opinion. By the way, you basically proved Rahul's point by saying HUNDREDS of diehard fans would buy it, not the MILLIONS they would require to even consider such an endeavor (which is what he was saying). Thanks though. You can crawl back under your rock now.
staff
pixel
Rahul must be laughing his ass off.
staff
pixel
It's a good thing fucking retards like myself run this site, or none of you'd ever have a place like this to call me a fucking retard on in the first place!
pixel
Nephtis, I've seen and own all of those you mentioned. I agree about film, but I also don't watch a lot of movies. Mostly just sci-fi and fantasy. Shocker, I know. Eitherway, I've also seen tons upon tons of violent or sexual anime. Chobits, Please Teacher, Tenchi Muyo come to mind. While there's no sex, or even sex in a sexy manor... Usually goofy nosebleed stuff.

Bringing up classification on a site is meaningless anyways. It varies. I go to any local stores by me which have huge media selections for DVDs, has a seperate animated section, then they have an anime section. Reason being - anime fans like anime, animation fans like shit like Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Harvey Birdman, Family Guy, Futurama, Simpsons, etc. Adult Swim on CN has their anime and goof blocks in seperate sections for that reason. If the two were the same thing, they'd mix them up. In most people's minds there's a difference(despite the technical definition - as gay means happy, but nobody insists that when they say "you're so gay!"). I'm not arguing in saying that Advent Children isn't animation, I'm just saying it's definitely not something TRADITIONALLY considered anime. I honestly think it just doesn't have a genre of it's own to fit neatly into, so sites place it in anime because they have no other films/series to junction it off with.

You seen Basilisk yet? Or the teaser for the Ultimate Hellsing OVA? Delicious.
staff
pixel
Hmm, why haven't I noticed this earlier. Necro post! Just in case you're still aroumd, bringing up that website was the entire point here. It's a Japanese website. The Japanese define anime as animation, that's all. Final Fantasy VII: Advent Children is animation regardless of whether from a western point of view it's 'anime' (as in 'Japanese animation). It fits into the genre of animation because it's animated. Computer generated visuals are still classed as animation. Yes, it's different, yes it's fancy, but it's still animation.

So while you may not consider it 'anime' - I do because it's Japanese and it's animation, hence Japanese animation.

So we agree it's animation, we differ on the definition of what 'anime' is. Even aside from the basic point of 'animation' - AC is done in anime style, it's heavily stylised, it has common anime voice actors and the lip synch is not perfect. It bears the hallmark of Japanese animation and a video game all in one, a weird crazy thing.

Yes, I have seen the teaser for Ultimate Hellsing, I'm wondering why there's an excessive amount of CG in it, and why the animation studio is different.
pixel
For starters, let me just say that it sounds like Rahul just has a personal vendetta against FFVII, all I can see is just pure hatred in whatever was commented by you in this instance. The fact is that it IS within Square Enix's Financial interest to produce this remake in consideration with what Jenova had commented "The outpouring of fan support since the release of the tech demo has been more tremendous than Square could have possibly anticipated." is more than noticibly true. Now reading these posts it's failed to mention also the connections with WHY a remake of Final Fantasy VII will take place. My first eye catcher was the connection with the movie and the technical demo, they both produce the same CGI characters. Now while you may think this is irrelivant, it is relivant, why would they create a "TECH DEMO" enunciating the characters from Advent Children? if it's only a demo, that work didn't need to be done, they could have just prettied it up. Secondly, Why is all of this compilation work being done to a title that was in even the creators minds, "A Masterpiece", USUALLY, major dev's don't do anything with it afterwards because eventually they kill off what was once known as a masterpiece unless they are building toward a climax. That climax is the Remake. It's been speculated heavily since the release of the console Playstation 2. It was the first game mentioned and never to be the last until Square Enix officially announce this title to be in production. Thirdly, Let's take a look back at last year almost around this time (may-june), The tech demo was released, now Square Enix's full intension was to announce this game not in development and litterally piss off the millions of FFVII fans to the tee. WHY?! you're a corporation that depends on it's fans, why couldn't Square Enix have developed a Technical Demo of say Final Fantasy VIII or IX? they were both made on the same platform with poor graphics, with less of a fan base to take the piss out of. There are a few more reasons why, but i'll just go into conclusion with the more important ones, the Director and Producer of FFVII would love to remake the game themselves, they both said so in numerous interviews. The Playstation 3 Platform launches in November, *IF* this game has been in development it's been in development since before 2005 June.. note the Tech Demo. It's a fact it won't take 5 years to produce a remake as it took 5 years to make the game from scratch, you already have your blueprint SE.. stop with the excuses. All the voice actors doing the characters do the same voices for numerous Titles, IE Advent Children, Dirge of Cerberus, Kingdom Hearts 2, and all of this just happened recently, SE you sure don't want to screw this compilation up do you?!?!. Lastly, Square Enix released a list of titles they are producing for this year and next last week, about April 26th, duely noted however was any PS3 titles, and SE mentioned on this list,.. that it was only "Partial" and the rest was to come at E3. I think all of us that have been under a rock the past year need to come out from underneath, it's not a relization, it's an eye opener.
staff
pixel
Paragraphs, they sure are awesome. Use them.

A Final Fantasy VII remake is not needed, we can still play it, whether it be the PlayStation or PC format. (Although the PC format does require patches since Eidos suck and refuse to support past Windows ME.)

They can bring it out if they want, but I'd be rather sceptical of its quality.

Also, what's with this necropost?
Post a Comment
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1248 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?