March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / News / Square Enix unveils "Project Game Brain"

staff
pixel
It's very interesting to see the new focus which couples games with other forms of media. It seems that the trend, especially in a more game-friendly nation like Japan, is to use games as a palatable output for otherwise unfriendly information. This has been done here in the US for movie tie-ins, which emphasizes my point when something like "Catwoman" makes it onto the PS2, though that particular example does little to enhance that particular pile of turd. Serious games succeeding in overseas markets may give them credibility here, which may in turn increase their mainstream acceptance and ultimately give them status as an artistic form. The future looks good.
staff
pixel
In a few years, expect to see some opposing political parties arguing over the appropriateness of introducing instructional videogame software into the classroom. That seems to be what the supporters of the Serious Games Initiative are aiming for.
staff
pixel
Definitely. It is the politicians that are really galvanizing a gaming opprobrium in this country. How far games will be allowed to go in the classroom will depend on how demagogic our wise and rational political leaders become. I don't know about you, but I'm seeing increasing anti-gaming rhetoric from up top.
Post a Comment
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1416 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?