March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / News / Sakaguchi: Final Fantasy XII sucks, Blue Dragon an extension of Chrono Trigger

staff
pixel
Kinda hard to disagree with the truth, I guess.
staff
pixel
Hey if someone leaving half way through a projects earns them a perfect Famitsu score, I think that's better than the huge excuse for a film (not to mention large financial loss) FF:TSW was.
staff
pixel
Famitsu Shmamitsu. FFXII was fundamentally broken conceptually and execution-wise. It's a miracle its gameplay held up the way it did.
pixel
Sounds kind of bitter to me.
staff
pixel
Yeah, I think that's the relevance of the article, that Sakaguchi is bitter. Not that FFXII "held" despite its numerous problems during development. The fact is that it's undoubtedly one of the best-received Final Fantasy titles in the series' history, not to mention probably the best received S-E title since Vagrant Story.
staff
pixel
It's still true, though. Matsuno dropped out halfway through and the game ended up representing the development cycle's turmoil almost to a tee. So when Sakaguchi says yeah, it's borked because Matsuno dropped, then I agree. Because that's what happened.

So in other words, just because Famitsu gave FFXII a 40/40 doesn't mean the game was in fact perfect. I think Famitsu's rating more accurately represents its Hype rating than its actual one. I certainly wouldn't give it a perfect score; not with that ending.
staff
pixel
Yeah, I totally agree, it's defintely not perfect. I would take off points just for Vaan's abs. But it's still the best Square title I've played in a long-ass time.
Post a Comment
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1439 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?