March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Final Fantasy XII / What games have your favorite Art Direction?

vip
pixel
Pretty self explanatory. Here I'm not looking for ZOMG graphics, but games that because of their art direction would be good on any system, regardless of specs.

SO, some my picks in no particular order.

Shadow of the Colossus

Talk about breathtaking. This game relies on two things as far as gameplay and looks: Less is more. You can see the color palette is limited to a few colors, although the range in which these colors are used is very diverse./The vistas are breathtaking, but are mostly empty. It would have been very easy for a developer to screw this up, but somehow the mood, the environmental perspective, the perfect contrast between big and small made this probably the most entertaining game for people to watch you play and have just as much fun as you did playing it ... and thats one of the biggest compliments a games art direction can have.

Okami

This is one game that looks so much like a storybook that sometimes you just have to stop whatever you're doing and admire it. The color theory in this game is off the charts and it feels fresh, distinct and will no doubt pass the test of time. The textures are simple, yet detailed, the settings varied, the gameplay itself affects the look of the environment and when you put it all together it gives you a visual performance that indeed feels like your playing a movie.

Final Fantasy XII

Without a doubt, no other game makes me want to start texturing as soon as I see someone play it. This is the one game in this list that I would love see an HD version so that the textures could be bigger and not flicker. The amount of details and variety in this game is stunning. The models in the game used roughly half the polycounts of Final Fantasy X and it seems like they used that to their advantage by giving the texture budget a larger memory. Even without the detail though, this game is on this list because of the well designed characters, the very different styles each location has, its amazingly VAST monster library, with descriptions and background story for each one, no less and very smart use of colors for each location (Rabanastre, the main city, has very obvious Turkish inspired designs, colors and textures, giving it a very busy city look without being overwhelming)

Radiata Stories

Probably the least known game on this list. This was a SquareEnix RPG that came and went for the PS2 a couple of years ago, got ho-hum reviews and most people forgot about it. Recently me and Michelle picled it up due to good word of mouth and we were shocked by how pretty everything was. In most games today, cartoony or realistic, you find a troubling lack of good color schemes and values. True all the games in this list have all that, but its this game that I finally saw shadows that where not BLACK, which, a small a detail as it may be, carried with it a lot of weight in influencing all the other color schemes throughout the game, making it look really fun and likable.

Rez

Probably, other than Shadow of the Colossus, no games visuals match the gameplay better. In Rez you play a space shooter of sorts (think Starfox) but the gameplay is completely revolved around music. When you start a level a regular base beat starts up, and by either you shooting or killing enemies new sounds will appear that complement the initial beat. As you progress the initial beat becomes more complex until you reach the boss, thats when the song finally reaches its full complexity and by the time you realize it, you're in the middle of a boss battle with the music going absolutely INSANE which makes for a pretty damn entertaining experience. The art itself is simple, like next-gen Vector graphics really, but it holds onto you, it resonates with the music and allows you to really immerse yourself in the game without being detracted by the lack of overwhelming visual cues. If games were considered art by most, this game would be its abstract masterpiece.

So thats it for me for now. I wanted to hit some popular basics and a couple of lesser known ones. There are plenty more games to discuss though, so get to it and collaborate!

Last edited by Xavi on August 15, 2007

staff
pixel
Great list, thanks for sharing. And motherfuckers want to exclude games as art.
staff
pixel
I have to mention the Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess for the rendition of the Twilight World, as sort of a footnote.

The hyper-saturation of some colors and draining of others leads to this sort of soft-focus aura of subdued, surrealistic dread that's just fantastic. I know that originally, the idea was to make it a world of shadows and black - boring as shit. The inclusion of cel-graphics is seamless and effective, without any of the jarring clash of virtually every simultaneous mix of mediums in any visual format.
vip
pixel
By Cel graphics you mean the squaed sprite effects right? Some people may think youre talking about cel shading, so include images next time ;)
staff
pixel
Agreed with everything on Xavi's list. I believe I will add:
Wind Waker: notable for its ability to compress and reimagine a franchise that has existed for 2 decades while still retaining the overall atmosphere that people love about Zelda
WoW: Defines the concept of a living game ecology where you can move from a mountaintop to a dense jungle and still feel like you're part of the same world. Not easy to pull off.
Viewtiful Joe: Mentioned by way of being unique and just tongue in cheek enough to be able to laugh at itself rather than be made fun of. Also, from a technical point of view, making polygonal models that animate as if they were 2d (similar to Wind Waker) is not easy
ZOE2: Tight mech design. One of the few games where the framerate is critical to supporting the feel of the art direction
BoF: Dragon Quarter: You'd think a dungeon crawler RPG couldn't look very interesting but this game manages to pull it off because everything has this "Doom" feeling of closeness and claustrophobia about it; even the music is part of the art direction
Crystal Chronicles: A hidden gem like Radiata Stories. This game is gorgeous even if it's not the best game to play alone. I remember everything coming together to create this tightly packaged original world that feels like a classic Final Fantasy but at the same time has this unique fantasy faerietale feel to it that no other Square Enix game really touched on
Half Life 2: Well gee, it makes you feel like you're in authentic Eastern Europe. Despite not being the best looking engine technically speaking, simple things like the lighting model and HDR system give you a feeling of warmth when in the game. Attention paid to the precise way Alyx looks in different environments supports this. Obviously also other environmental touches like number plates on cars and the various kinds of graffiti you come across
Paper Mario: 2d sprites in a 3d world? No one else has done it and certainly not as integrally as here. Especially the way one screen flows into the other with cardboard cutout buildings falling away, etc. Similar to Viewtiful Joe, in a way. But not a beatemup!
GTA Vice City: Also unique because no one else has been able to realise the 80s or any other real world cultural era so exactly and immersively as this game. Even if you don't like it you have to appreciate the exact finesse with which clothes, makeup, the soundtrack, the lighting and the cars were researched, all as part of making the whole as nostalgic as possible. Can only be done with a visionary art direction team.
Silent Hill 2: Exclusively this game because some of the monster design stands out as representative of how you can make a game's art direction revolve around a single facet such as enemies: Pyramid Head and the come-to-life mannequins hold up all by themselves in terms of building the feeling of the town. Obviously also things like muted colours, the noise filter and ambient sound

Note that we're talking art direction here, not quality of artwork used in the game. Art direction is related to the consistency and overall integrity of a production's artistic feel and atmosphere, which includes everything from level and character design to gameplay experience and sound design. Games with solid art direction can easily outperform games with lots of polygons but shitty art direction.
pixel
I submit Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and Legend of Mana
staff
pixel
What? Have you even played any games other than generic popular Squaresoft productions? What's so goddamn great about Xenogears' art direction? It's a bunch of boring manga with ugly spritework and simplistic mech design. If you want strong manga art, go play Wind Waker or Dragon Quarter. If you want superior mech design, play ZOE2. Geez.
vip
pixel
Yeah I agree with Rahul. Chrono Trigger was stunnign visually, but the art direction was simply OK, Xenogears is very basic and Legend of Mana does have good art direction, so that one fits the bill.

Guys, please try to .. you know, back up your opinions with images and some thought, we cant read your mind you know ;)
pixel
i've played plenty of games, just because most of them don't stand out, doesn't mean i haven't played them.

I also Submit Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn.

http://image.com.com/gamespot/images/2006/features/greatestgames/baldursgate/baldur_screen001.jpg
staff
pixel
Thanks for commenting on my lengthy post Xavi! I specifically refrained from getting work done last night just for you!
vip
pixel
Oh I was just replying to Cabin Republican here, not you. I thought your post was fantastic.
staff
pixel
I throw in Persona 2 or any of the later MegaTen game. Their style was always pretty unique and interesting, even if the game itself bored me to tears.
staff
pixel
Definately the MegaTen series. Kazuma Kaneko is a fucking master.
staff
pixel
Rachel said:
Definately the MegaTen series. Kazuma Kaneko is a fucking master.

Of characters whose faces look the same.
vip
pixel
Yeah cause peoples faces, being 5 percent of the art thats in a game, are so indicative of the artists skill.

Come on now
staff
pixel

Bioshock

Final Fantasy IV

I would play either of these games for their art direction on any console (that I could afford)

Last edited by Jeriaska on August 24, 2007

staff
pixel
Vagrant Story did it for me in every possible way. The PlayStation's inability to render Akihiko Yoshida's work in a definitive form, which became apparent years after this title's release with the arrival of Final Fantasy XII, remains, in my humble opinion, irrelevant. Here, Yoshida-san's characters are, as in Xavi's reference, extremely well designed alongside breathtaking backdrops. Why Roger Ebert hasn't played this game, I know not.

Great post!

Last edited by Eddy on August 25, 2007

pixel
When I grew up I played 4 kinds of games: Mario, Mega Man, Street Fighter II, and SquareSoft. Thus, the two games I have to add to the list are SquareSoft games: Secret of Mana, Final Fantasy VI. My Cases (sorry, I don't know html):

Secret of Mana:
http://secretofmana.planets.gamespy.com/images/mapart.jpg

Final Fantasy VI:
http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff6/art/images/129.jpg
http://www.cavesofnarshe.com/ff6/art/images/092.jpg
staff
pixel
Vagrant Story would just validate Roger Ebert's point: despite our opinion that VS is a masterpiece of storytelling, compared to solid, complete and well-directed films, it's extremely B-rated and conceptually simplistic. He would laugh off the "amateur" attempt at introducing a Shakespeare-style scenario and script. This certainly wouldn't be my choice to defend our hobby with.
pixel
15-20 years ago the video game medium was very limited on what it could do with story telling, just like with graphics and sound. It seems to me that as the industry progressed, much more emphasis was put on gameplay improvements than story. Thus we get a number of RPG's with very similar plots, and we get a lot of action style games with little to no plot at all. And people buy these because they love rpgs or they love FPS or whatever. RPGs went out of style because they do the same stories over and over, Action game get really popular because they are fun to play. Thus we get lots of game that are fun to play, but have the artistic quality of The da Vinci Code
pixel
great list xavi, i agree with you but i never touch Radiata Stories before. For me i suggest Genji to add to your list.
pixel
I say Yoshitaka Amano! I draw and if you trying do illustrations, you would respect him as much as i do! illustrations are really hard, if you fuck up the smallest detail, the picture is thrown off.
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1474 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?