March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Radiata Stories / Time To Hype Radiata Stories

staff
pixel
http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=1444

Sporting around 150 playable characters, this Tri-Ace developed action RPG with hints of Star Ocean and Wild ARMs 3 puts you in control of either Jack Russell or Ridley Timberlake, both 16. Three other party members, connected to the main character through a "Link System", will join you in battle at all times.

Square Haven coverage of RADIATA STORIES

This is Rachel's game, so you will all play it! :wub: :wub: :wub: :ph34r:
vip
pixel
So far it looks great on every level, Im hoping that Tri Ace doesnt leave storylines hanging as in Valkyrie Profile though!
pixel
When someone uses the words "Star Ocean" and "Wild Arms" in the same sentence when describing a game I cannot help but get excited about it :)
staff
pixel
I think the presentation is gorgeous, and I don't doubt Tri-Ace, but I'll probably have to read a bit more about the battle system because it seems a little odd.
staff
pixel
It's a combo system version of the usual Star Ocean/Valkyrie Profile design.
staff
pixel
Heh, it's been a while, but wasn't Valkyrie Profile turn based?
staff
pixel
Yes, It was a very simplistic combat system, and very good.
pixel
It's about time the release date was given. 150 characters does seem like an overkill though, I mean in the Suikoden series 108 characters were more than enough, it is pretty pointless to have that many characters and unless they are somehow all unique and not clones, you're not going to use half of them anyway. Still I am excited over it.

Now all we need now is a Valkyrie Profile 2 to be in development.
staff
pixel
I don't think the number matters at all.

Chrono Cross had 40 characters, and the way they were each pulled off left much to be desired. There was barely a differentiation.

Suikoden, with so many MORE characters, made even MORE sense of things--the characters weren't so droll as to limit their only differences to something as prosaic as accents. There was often a reason to use only certain characters, which increased variety, and the ease at which you could switch around your party to put YOUR favorite characters in was quite well done.

staff
pixel
You should remember that these RPGs with a lot of playable characters don't put them there because they want to have 40-150 fleshed out believable entities. They do it simply for the preference in playing with them and the fun in the collection of them. In Chrono Cross they were simply there as a "they're NPCs, but have names and can join your party" sort of thing, so as such, I didn't feel they missed out. Those characters that were essential to the story (Harle, Kid, Serge, etc) were appropriately developed.

For Radiata Stories I don't think we should expect any kind of notable character development in most of the characters, either. It'll be a matter of being able to bring into your party pretty much anyone you come across, be it through doing a short quest for them, fighting them and winning, or through plot-related means. Expecting each character to have an interesting backstory is missing the point of their presence in the world in the first place.
vip
pixel
September 6th is the day after my birthday, so it's a guarantee i'l be getting this game B)
staff
pixel
I've had this preordered since it was announced.
pixel
Rachel said:
I've had this preordered since it was announced.

Ditto that. I'm so excited!
staff
pixel
Too bad it sucks.
vip
pixel
Does it now?
staff
pixel
I didn't think so.
vip
pixel
Yeah what the Hell am I doing taking anything Matt says 'bout a game to heart. WELL there's some hope then!
staff
pixel
It better come over here, it's about time I played one of these Tri-Ace games.
pixel
Both Star Ocean 2 and 3 came out here in Aussie so it should come out here in about a year.
pixel
Just finished it, Matt was right it sucks.
pixel

sorry about reviveing a dead thread but how long is this game?... i just started playing it
staff
pixel
Yeah, only game I ever sold without finishing.
vip
pixel
Cool, that means Nabasu will like it
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #169 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?