March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / So you bought a Zune.

pixel
So, you bought a Zune. After all the warnings, all the moaning that microsoft is of the devil, you went ahead and snatched up that great offer on overprices merchandise, and now you are the dejected sellout owner of a Zune media player. Aren't you special?

I really almost hoped a self help pamphlet came with new zunes. I 'did' actually buy a zune, and I can't explain why. I got it off woot for 100 bucks, so I don't feel gypped, and I plan to hack it to bits, but I still feel dirty.

ShMFoD, what should I do to make myself feel clean again?
staff
pixel
Get an ipod touch.
pixel
that 'would' be a solution, but i don't have the cash for that.
staff
pixel
Get a Samsung YP-Z5. It's what I use. Small, nice interface, 30 hours playback and 2 or 4GB. Won't put a huge dent in your wallet either. I like it alot better than my iPod.
vip
pixel
I'm a cheap bastard... I picked up a 1gb Sansa player from my work... Where I work, we have a cell phone recycling drop-off (people drop off their old cell phones, we send them off for scrap, and the Boys & Girls Club reaps the profits). Well, we also get people who drop off EVERYTHING that came with their old phone (box, instructions, power cables, cases, etc...), these items get tossed out, so someone has to sort through the bin before we ship the old phones out!

Well, anyways, one day there's a relatively new 1gb Sansa player in the bin. It's missing two screws out of the back, and doesn't turn on, so I ask a Manager if it'd be cool if I keep it (to see if I could get it to work)... He says "sure", I bring it home, plug it into a mini-USB cable I have here, and "Poof!" it works... It'll freeze up if I'm playing around in the menu too much, but will play MP3s, FM radio stations, and video files... Turns out there's an error in the files' system memory, but I'm not concerned. Whenever the thing freezes up, I pop off the back cover, remove battery, and put it back together... Works fine afterwards! -The best idea that my Manager & I had come up with was that someone was pissed off that it was having problems, couldn't get the Geek Squad to work on it for free (after warranty?), and that it'd cost too much for them to be worth fixing/replacing...

I also have my eye on an old 4GB iPod Mini that's been in the lost & found for over a month...

Last edited by methusalen on October 14, 2007

pixel
Meth: solution: google for a 'hard reset' and get the updated drivers for the player. do the hard reset *it's not just pulling the battery!* and update the firmware, and you should be good as gold.

If gold could have a behavior pattern.
vip
pixel
Sorry Dortz, I gave it to a guy I work with who works on iPods & MP3 players for fun... He checked it out, and found out there was some type of corruption in the system memory (hardware, not software)... But, it still works well enough for me...
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1747 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?