March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / SaGa Frontier 2 / Saga, the 2nd Frontier

pixel
I started replaying this game again, because I was fuzzy about what was going on at the end after all these years since I had never beaten it.

My opinion of it keeps going up and up. The music is fantastic, the graphical style is very different, in a good way. I like the storybook feel. Both the Knights' and the Gustav story lines are engaging and interesting. The only real drawback I could imagine is that the battles and gameplay, though I enjoy both.

Where is it that people differ from me? Or is the gameplay so hard for some people that it really hinders it that much? I wonder since most seem to think it is just OK.

Discuss...
staff
pixel
I put a lot of time into this game way back when it came out. I recall its visual splendour; the art direction was impressive for a second-rate Square franchise. Incorporating dynasties and familial generations made the storyline interesting and unique.

These factors make it all the more unfortunate that the gameplay sucked. The battle system was a failure and the whole process was a bore. This was my experience, and I eventually couldn't bare to go on and became disinterested in the game.
pixel
I figured that was what was bothering people so much. I think it is really cool, but I did have to spend a lot of time learning it. And there are other games with better systems that can be learned faster =\
staff
pixel
I think I'm one of the few people who loved everything about the game....
pixel
Well, now you know another :D
staff
pixel
So you've beat it already and you're actually playing it again?? Do you not have any newer games to endeavor?

I wish I could shrug some of my playlist off on you.
pixel
I got extremely close to beating it. I was on the last Chapter in the Knight's family story and I had the last couple battle to do for Gustave's. I couldn't find my memory card with the file. So I started over.

I don't enjoy most new video games. The most recently released game I enjoyed was FFXII.

And what games did you have in mind? I might just go out and buy one.
staff
pixel
My playlist includes FFXII, Mario Galaxy, Metroid Prime 3, Okami, Shadow of the Colossus, Front Mission DS, FFXII Revenant Wings, and the one game I'm supersyced about: Advance Wars: Days of Ruin.
I'd like to go back and play some games like Earthbound, Vagrant Story, and Eternal Darkness, but I can't find time for nostalgia when there's so much on the horizon...
pixel
Gyarr, I don't own most of the systems those games are on. Though, I should look into Okami. I never did like ICO or SotC.
staff
pixel
Gyarr! I can't recommend a DS enough.. I would recommend one to absolutely anyone. It's probably the best thing to happen to gaming ever.
pixel
That's quite an endorsement. Are they still in print?
staff
pixel
Matt speaks the truth. I wouldn't call it the best thing to happen to gaming ever, personally (that's the SNES!) but in recent times the Nintendo DS is the only modern gaming device that's brought me close to the addiction, excitement and enjoyment of the bygone '90s. Highly recommended. Nintendo recently released the sexy crimson-black model of the handheld, and they seem to be selling like hotcakes. Looks like it won't be leaving anytime soon.

However, INFINITE SHAME on you for not caring about ICO & Shadow. 'Course, I mostly say this since these are by far my favorite games ever.

Re: SaGa Frontier II, never had the pleasure and/or horror of playing the game. I've tuned into Hamauzu's score numerous times for some of the slickest piano work I've ever heard, though. While I'd written the instrument off as one for softer music only, he proves its versatility with some unforgettable compositions. Specifically, "Todesengel" comes to mind.

Last edited by Kanji on January 05, 2008

staff
pixel
You know, I wrestled with the accuracy of that statement also, that the DS is the best ever. I was also considering the SNES as the recipient of that adjudication. So Nels, if you love old games so much, and there are tons of ports and games rendered in classical style on DS, and Kanji and I love DS more than anything except maybe SNES, you should consider one.
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1869 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?