March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Shin Megami Tensei Games: Why are they worth so much?

vip
pixel
I've recently been playing SMT: Nocturne, which my brother left with me about 2 years ago. He got it at some bargain sale at Toys 'R US. I was sort of interested by the art style and was looking into buying Persona 3.

Wait, it came out 6 months ago and now it's a collector's item?!? I have to pay $60+ for a used copy?!

This looks like a common trait for the SMT line. Nocturne can bring in prices over $75. I'm not sure why though. The game isn't that great, the monster fusing is probably the only redeemable part of the gameplay. The story is vague and almost non-existent.

So what's the fuckin' big deal about these games?
staff
pixel
I could say it's because of mature themed RPGs with stories oozing with philisophical content, with solid gameplay, and just overall fun... in a genre filled with spikey haired effeminate pretty-boys with vapid love stories overflowing with belts and zippers. Or I could give you the real reason.

ATLUS is a small (but respected) developer/publisher and can't print the sheer volume of copies that others can. One (usually SMT) gets popular, sells, and becomes hard to find. It's true for all of their hit titles. Disgaea was almost impossible to find at it's original release, and the original run of the strategy guide was even harder to obtain. But there was a second printing of both due to their popularity.

I wouldn't put it past ATLUS to re-release Persona 3 with either FES or with the rear cover corrected (it currently says a Persona 3 save takes 67MB... on an 8MB memory card.)

Last edited by Rachel on January 30, 2008

pixel
ya I also wondered why there were so overpriced, so its because there a small company eh. I haven't played persona 3 but I am thinking of buying it but I wanted know how good the game is? Also how is Story and Gameplay? (I don't wanna shell out 60 bucks for game if I wont like the game)
vip
pixel
I found a new copy of Persona 3 for the retail price (last one they had) so I decided to pick it up. I think I have some kind of deficiency when it comes to replying to questions in video games. The answers I always think are cheeky or humorous are always actually negative replies. I've just started playing, but right now I'm wishing the school stuff was a lot more in depth. Maybe I should just get a copy of Bully.
pixel
ahh Bully that was a good game.
staff
pixel
The school system is actually pretty deep... but if you expect to do every little menial thing, you'll be disappointed. If you don't mind occasionally getting called on in class to answer a question, mid-term exams (some of which are graded SOLELY on your Academics stat), or being bugged by someone at lunchtime who wants to hang out after school, it's fine. These events raise your stats (Courage, Academics, Charm) Which in turn have an impact on your Social Links (relationships with people).
vip
pixel
I guess I thought I'd be training more to up my stats and that there would be a lot of choices available to me when I started out. Right now it's like a week goes by in 10 minutes and the questions you're asked in class aren't exactly difficult: "What is 1+1?" congratulations your academics went up! Maybe they dumbed it down for the US release?
vip
pixel
Why the hell does everyone want to hang out with you on the same day?! And, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the friendship points basically don't do anything if you aren't fusing a new persona right?

The game seems alright so far. I wish their were more things to do and more time to do them. And I wish your going to kendo club had some effect on your fighting ability. Wouldn't that make sense?
staff
pixel
dean said:
Why the hell does everyone want to hang out with you on the same day?! And, correct me if I'm wrong here, but the friendship points basically don't do anything if you aren't fusing a new persona right?

You never know when you'll need/want a Persona of that Arcana later on, and the xp bonus the S. Links give really helps if you're just whoring for certain skills. Plus, getting to a certain point in some relationships can unlock others, so it's kind of important, and by maxing an S. Link, you gain access to uber-powerful (usually) Personae.

If you want to speed it up, carry a Persona of that Arcana when you go to hang out with that person. You gain 50% more points than you would without it and should generally get a rank up everytime you hang out.

It seems tough, but you'll get an idea when everyone is available or not to hang out. Then it's just a matter of planning it all out so you don't go too long and ignore someone.
pixel
just got a sealed copy of Persona off Ebay and I am really enjoying this game!
staff
pixel
You managed to find a copy of the original Persona? The only one I've ever seen was stashed in Atlus' official stock.
pixel
persona 3 lol
vip
pixel
Sonvabitch! They're re-releasing Persona 3 with additional content for only $29.99! Dammit!!
pixel
ya I heard .... SHIT >_>
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1901 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?