March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Potential Of The Ds

pixel
I think if people spend time, the ds has great potential... They were given two screens and dual processors for a reason you know
bot im not even going to talk about hte touch screen............
staff
pixel
Hi, I'm your post! You kinda put me in the wrong area of the forums, so I had to call this super nice Admin to put me where I belong!
pixel
I think that the DS could do wonders with ff because you could devote an entire screen to the action, and have menus much easier to access on the touch-screen with the entire thing to itself...but then that's just me...
pixel
Well, GBA was able to get some good RPGs on it, so logically the DS has it least as much potential as it (if not a crapload more). The question is, will RPG developers make an effort to utilize the dual screen thing? If they did they could make some very awesome games, otherwise they might be better off with the PSP.
staff
pixel
The DS is overrated.

I had some time with it; I'm not impressed.

Dual and touch screen seems to be just another gimmick at this point, and whatever utilizations of it made as whole games are little more than Bejeweled-style diversions; add-ons to classic games (naming among them Mario 64DS) using the touch screen are just pointless and could have easily been done without. If you're going to look at a map, you're going to focus on the map, whether you press a button or move your eyes down the two inches; the effort difference is hardly noticeable, and right now the DS is a bulky, silly machine.

Just because it's there doesn't mean it's necessary.

Just because you can doesn't mean you should.
staff
pixel
Yeah, unfortunately you're being a bit pre-emptive with your judgement. The thing with DS is that it's a tough concept to grasp for most developers and there's a certain train of thought to follow that benefits the hardware. Nintendo will have to lead the way and cause consumers to expect certain feature of the games on the platform for developers to catch up. Look at Nintendogs and you'll understand why DS is the way it is. It doesn't have anything to do with "just because you can", it's about expanding market appeal. In fact, I'd say that PSP suffers more from "just because you can" (widescreen display, movie playback), because at this point PSP is less effective at capturing the crossmedial audience than DS is at drawing in new gamers.
pixel
I think the DS has potential, but Rahul is right. :blink:
pixel
I have a DS of my own. It's great. The ONLY thing i think it lacks, is more RPG games. I can't wait for Castlevania and Final Fantasy 3 to come out for it. But really, look at the games that are out. Rayman, Poke-mon, Yoshi, Football, GOLF (who wants to sit around and play golf on a handheld system?) but thats just my opinion

i think the ds is awesome
pixel
it definatly has great potential as long as developers can put the two screens to good use. I've been thinking of some idea's and heres what i came up with what some developers can do.

The top screen can be used for all the action and commands that you make, ( age of empires style ). And the bottom screen can be used for statistics on strength, enemy vs your soldier comparisons, your score bar, map, and all the additional stuff you'd expect to see.

so yeah i reckon it'd work great, so as long as developers put alot of thought into there DS games and stop friggin worrying bout the stupid PSP.
staff
pixel
I've said it before, and I'll say it again. I love the DS, but there needs to be more exploiting this unique console's abilities, beyond just asinine minigames and using the touchscreen as a map/camera rotation. The only current game I've seen do this is Feel the Magic...but even so, it's just a collection of minigames. Don't get me wrong, it's the funnest thing I've played on DS, but it gets old.
pixel
I think that rpgs would work on the ds the touch screen could be used as a menu on the battle screen.
pixel
Well any of the consoles currently available could successfully play RPG's. I think the question to ask is if the DS has the ability to effectively expand on standard RPG formats by using its new features. To follow up on Rahul, I agree that these features still have yet to be taken advantage of... although, in my opinion, that doesn't necessarily guarantee that the DS's abilities will prove to be more or less helpful for the general gamer. Some games will make wonderful use of the Split Screen capability, maybe even incorporate the touch screen ability... while other games may keep the standard format and make little use of either. I think the real purpose behind what the DS offers is imagination. It will be up to developers to be innovative and creative with development of their games, and perhaps introduce a standard that gamers will learn to love... or possibly hate. Regardless, I respect Nintendo’s contrivance concerning the DS and look forward to what may or may not become a benchmark in redefining gamers expectations for the handheld (and possibly even mainstream) gaming market.
staff
pixel
Man do I love the DS. It's a great thing.

Too bad I never ever play it..
staff
pixel
I use mine as a GBA.
staff
pixel
BAH!!! the SP is so much more practical as a gaming system - it's more compact, has longer battery life, and has better controls (or perhaps I just haven't broken in the DS controls, considering I have played it for about one fucking hour total)
staff
pixel
Well, I'd rather have the DS than an SP, considering I use the DS more than I EVER used my plain ol' GBA. My DS collection is pretty pathetic at the moment, just Super Mario 64 DS, and Feel the Magic. I'll get more later this year, when more comes out that interests me.
pixel
I like the SP better. I am kind of old school so I like the old games all I ever play on it is Zelda and Tetris. I like that it is compact also, except I guess some people need more. Like for the newer games I hear you can put a map on one screen I would imagine that would make some games easier. Still for what I need I am stickin with the SP because it is more my style...plus it is BLUE!!! well mine anyway. Does DS come in blue?
staff
pixel
Everyone should get Kirby Canvas Curse, since it's awesome.

And yes the DS will eventually come in blue in the US and Europe.
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #217 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?