March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Revolution, Nintendo Style

vip
pixel
OK, so the announcement of the Nintendo Revolution isn't that great, but at least they mentioned something that got MY attention.

Backward Compatibility... but not in the normal sense... (ie- putting in your disk and playing it in a new system in the same way you'd play it on the old console)

Instead... You DOWNLOAD your games onto the system and play them on there... What games? Supposedly... ALL OF NINTENDO'S LINEUP...

Now, is that just 1st party Nintendo games? or is that EVERY FRIGGIN' ONE?! Final Fantasy 2 (ie- IV), Final Fantasy:Mystic Quest, The original FF, Earthbound, Secret of Evermore,Dragon Warrior, etc etc? Do you think we may get different versions of the games? (like a Japanese version of the old ones)

How would they protect against piracy in this case?

Why don't I just get a mod chip in my Xbox and get the same thing for a whopping $20? (outside of negating me from playing on X-box LIVE! ?)

What do you all think? What do you think about the lack of controller information? I know that Sony & Microsoft's controllers aren't changing THAT much (OK, they both LOOK different from the previous ones, but they button layout hasn't changed all that much), but Nintendo changes their controller with every system...
vip
pixel
I've been totally underwhelmed by the Revolution so far (not that there's much to get excited about). What concerns me is that Nintendo is going for the quirky, niche appeal which, frankly, won't gonna cut it up against the PS3 and X-Box supercomputers.

Nintendo has always been idealistic but now they're blindsiding themselves with those very ideals. They're like independent film makers: taking risks, being bold and experimental--which is healthy and productive for the industry--but without a kickass piece of hardware, they won't have the marketing clout to make it work.

Would you watch an interesting film if it came on a bizarre format that required a special DVD player to run? Tenuous analogy perhaps, but it's the gist of what I'm saying.

Of course, loyal Nintendoids like myself will buy the system because of in-house games (I'm talking about the casual buyer with the above comments). Let's just hope they give us a better flagship than Mario Sunshine this time around.

And as far as piracy is concerned, I'm fairly certain Ninty will think of something. Not that some enterprising geek won't find a way to crack it, of course, unless they do a Playonline style interface which is very difficult to fiddle with.

And yeah, I think Nintendo underestimate how many people are savvy with mod chips and emulators, as Meth surmised. MAME, TV-out, retro controller, or chipped X-Box, you name it… There's no special appeal to it. It's a gimmick at best, and hardly revolutionary.
vip
pixel
Yeah, but there's also the fact that I don't think they're trying to be the "Best of the Best", the "Cream of the Crop", etc etc... You see, I think they're trying to be the second best console out there. They weren't the top or the second best console with the current systems, and they probably aren't expecting to be any better this time around...

They have the first party games to carry the console, and I think that's what they're aiming for this time around...

just my two cents....
vip
pixel
So far, I think downloadable games is a GREAT idea. The idea that non-casual gamers who enjoy old school games will be able to play old school games without having to leave their homes is good, and since NES games are becoming hard to find, downloading them seems like a great idea.

However, while that's all good and well, Nintendo needs to step their marketing approach up more than a few notches. How can a system be called "Revolution" if theirs nothing to make it stand out against the other platforms coming out? The desicion to shroud the system in secrecy leaves fans, and their main demographic in the dark, making them turn to other systems because of lack of interest. We don't know what it's capable of, we don't know how it'll handle, and we've only seen what it looks like. I'm getting bored waiting for the announcement of what makes the Revolution so revolutionary, and it's this boredom that is going to drive me, and many other gamers, to buy another console. this will ultimately bring Nintendo down, and it seems like the handheld market is the only thing keeping Nintendo from becoming another Sega (With consoles biting the dust and transforming itself into a game developer).
staff
pixel
Skip the assumptions if you don't have all the facts (which none of us do at this point). It's too early to conclude whether Nintendo's role in the next-gen race is at all insignificant.

The download system has been announced for 1st party software and Nintendo are in talks with 3rd parties to get them to make games available for it as well. Considering Wada's enthusiastic comments a couple of weeks ago, I'd assume that he and the rest of the company will be behind making games like FFVI available once again via this service (at a fee), perhaps integrating it with PlayOnline. I would not be surprised.

The piracy system will be managed by a custom DRM system that Nintendo is planning to implement into the console. If you think of the upcoming Microsoft Palladium system as a comparable device, then it means that on the chip level, there are checks built in to figure out whether software being accessed by the chip is legitimate. I'm no expert, but that's definitely more secure than any systems currently in use. Nintendo is very big on piracy and they will do everything to assure that the console is not mis-used. It worked very well for them on Gamecube, so I don't foresee it becoming a problem with Revolution.

And before you make assumptions (again) about how Nintendo intends to meet the market for next-gen, remember that they merely have a different focus in their marketing speak than their competitors. It doesn't mean they'll produce a gimmick-oriented input device built around ancient graphics technology. Revolution will be on par with its competitors visually, yet add something extra to it. The reason they downplay graphics is specifically to focus attention on their speciality. MS and Sony have done the same; MS talked a lot about the "HD era" in its marketing (aside from the ludicrous hyperbole), and Sony is all about the Eyetoy and hardhitting power of the PS3. You'll note that in terms of core marketing, Nintendo would never be able to compete with MS or Sony in those areas. That's why they've chosen to downplay the graphics and focus on their core strength: creating innovative games with innovative applications of hardware.

So stop comparing Nintendo to Sega (Sega bore the rump of nearly 10 years of loss before it left manufacturing, whereas Nintendo has only ever made a profit short of situations where a weak yen causes them to slump a bit), and stop suggesting that Nintendo is marketing towards a niche (which is in fact the opposite of what they're doing). Just because they don't appeal to you does not mean they don't appeal and will not appeal to others. YOU are the niche, not vice versa.
staff
pixel
To add to that, I've heard a lot of people saying 'I'll get a Revolution and either a PS3 or X-box 360'. That kind of thinking mostly comes out of this backwards idea that I thought of in the extremely early days of the GC, and I to this day believe I should have copyrighted it! :P

Seriously though, to use such a good idea has brought back my full dedication to loving Nintendo, finally they caught onto a great idea. It's NOT niche, there is a huge amount of casual gamers that have played a number of older Nintendo games that would love to play them again. There is also a huge potential in European and particularly Australia to purchase games they've never seen before, like CHRONO TRIGGER damn it! (Not that I haven't played it before, ahem) The idea is fueling a lot of discussion, which I believe is either a cunning market strategy or a good chance, either way is fine with me.

Unlike all you people and 'Nintendo needs to be like everyone else', I think that the fact that they AREN'T like everyone else is what makes them an interesting company. It's not like a dodgy film, it's Nintendo. If they played the game like everyone else they would lose the war due to the lack of 3rd party developers.

Let us wait as Rahul said, until the consoles come out, save your pretentious and generally distateful comments until you have a chance to try it for yourself.
vip
pixel
My appologies if I've said anything that heads off into those areas of discussion, but I was originally just stating what I've heard... Now, recall that I've heard all the same hear-say and rumors that everyone else has heard or read... So... yeah.

I will again say this, I am excited for this console. I will more than likely buy this console, especially if the costs of the console are cheaper than the other two major systems... I don't have much money, and that's the reason I've picked up the Gamecube in the first place... It was cheap-ish, and I wanted to play the 'classic' Nintendo franchises...
pixel
I think that the way Nintendo is handling the Revolution is the only way they really could have succesfully handled it. Downloading older games will attract some of the older demographic, and the tried N franchises will get in some younger people. They won't get all of anything, but what they're doing is settling for survival until they can make a system that's truly Revolutionary.
vip
pixel
im just happy that i wont have to play emulated games with HORRIBLE SOUND AND SOUND EFFECTS anymore, gob bless them, now itll be just like I remember :)

The thing is that ms and sony seem to be focusing more on expanding what comes along with games, while nintendo is more just like "technology is not as important as long as the game kicks ass"

at least thats what im getting out of it
staff
pixel
Mr. Domino said:
They won't get all of anything, but what they're doing is settling for survival until they can make a system that's truly Revolutionary.

Actually what they are doing is revolutionary. They are moving in a different direction to their opponents, and doing something different. You can hardly say that either the PS3 or 360 is an amazing revolution; it's more of the same. Sure better graphics and whatever else, but they are pumping out what they always have, Nintendo are prepared to do their own thing, and make something different to what everyone else is doing, this is why they are a remarkable company; they don't spoonfeed the public with the same stuff.
pixel
Sony does that some, too, though...I own almost as many PS1 games as I do PS2 games...graphics really aren't as important as gameplay. FF7 for example, is better than FF9 (in my opinion) even though 9 has much better graphics.
staff
pixel
Yeah but Sony doesn't have that massive library of titles like Nintendo does, they have to think of something better than the 'eye toy' to win. Although that was quite the seller.
staff
pixel
Nintendo's message is that, yes, they will meet the competition in terms of graphics, but that's not what the marketing should be focusing on. None of this "HD era" or "my processor can power a microwave oven" crap. They focus their direction based on what kind of games will be delivered by the platform, and on top of that, aspire to add something else to the mix while doing so. At this point we don't know what that is, but we're promised a "paradigm shift in game design".

A paradigm shift in game development is what Will Wright is doing with Spore. Think along those lines, but in the field of game design and user interface, and that's probably what Nintendo will bring to the table with Revolution.
staff
pixel
Rahul said:
"my processor can power a microwave oven" crap.

That would be the quote of the day Rahul, but that guy on the website beat you I'm afraid, with his 'what the hell is a paragraph' comment.

Still your point is strong, and we can only hope that they present something new and fresh in the end that sells. Just because I like it doesn't mean everyone else does, so they better make sure they don't kill themselves in the process.
staff
pixel
Nephtis said:
so they better make sure they don't kill themselves in the process.

Once again, Nintendo are not going to "kill themselves". They could fuck up the entire next generation and they'd be fine. They could have zero new sales of Nintendo DS, GBA SP and Revolution and they'd still last no problem. Get off the idea that there is any danger in what Nintendo is doing. Public businesses don't operate by way of huge risks since the stakeholders would freak out, so don't worry about it.
vip
pixel
More info regarding the Revolution

The Headline reads, "Nintendo reveals mouth-watering details about its next console, code-name Revolution."

Seems pretty interesting, at least they've shown that the system is TRULY backwards compatible w/ Gamecube games, and that the downlaodable games make it 'backwards compatible' w/ the NES, SNES, and N64... with "downloadable access to 20 years of fan-favorite titles originally released" for them...

I don't know man, for some reason this console is still calling my name more-so than the other two...

Oh, and I mentioned it above, but "Code-named Revolution"? They haven't released the 'official' name yet? Does that mean that the 360 and PS3 might still be the 'final' name of the console?
staff
pixel
That's not "more info", that's the press release from E3. Nothing to see here, move along.
vip
pixel
Whoops, my bad... I guess I missed the whole "HEY, It's actually TRULY backwards compatible w/ your gamecube games!!" part... All I had seen myself was the E3 presentation on G4...
vip
pixel
thats what you get for watching g4, tsk tsk
staff
pixel
G4 makes you sterile.
vip
pixel
Sterile, eh? I still miss my TechTV :(

but at least Leo Laporte brought back the Screensavers crew and is bringing us www.twit.tv
staff
pixel
That is great that Leo and the gang are all back, when they replaced Screen Savers with Attack of the Show, I was pissed. Seriously, G4 took every good show that TechTV had, and replaced it with shit that no one liked from G4. Only things that really survived were X-Play and Anime Unleashed.
vip
pixel
Attack of the Show pisses me off, it's such a pale comparison of what TSS used to be... X-Play still rocks though...

Oh, and the only other show I watch ever on G4 is Cinematech... it's just... I don't know... I just like it...

But what the HELL is up with the crap they have on there now? "The Whip Set"? WTF?!?!

Bleh....
pixel
I heard that the revolution will play gamecube games and it's own games stright up. far as the downloading, you can get all games for the NES, SNES, N64, and i think something called a virtual system or something. first party games by nintendo will be free but you'll gonna have to pay for the rest (not much i hope). . . anyway i'm not sure if somebody mention that allready i kinda just kinda noticed the topic. . . so i decided to share my wonderful knowladgement of the revolution and my horrabul spelling :)
staff
pixel
Methusalen said:
Attack of the Show pisses me off, it's such a pale comparison of what TSS used to be... X-Play still rocks though...

Oh, and the only other show I watch ever on G4 is Cinematech... it's just... I don't know... I just like it...

But what the HELL is up with the crap they have on there now? "The Whip Set"? WTF?!?!

Bleh....

The Whip Set...what a fucking joke...even other shows on G4 make fun of it. It doesn't even have anything to do with games...or computers. The only things I watch are X Play, Anime, and G4TV.com

G4TV.com is probably the only good show G4 brought over...at least, when they're talking about games and not answering calls.
vip
pixel
Ah true.. G4TV.COM is pretty cool... And, even though they killed it off, I liked "Portal", Dave was my favorite host... There's still a Portal forum on their website... Talk about fans...

And, as for the Nintendo First Party games being free? I truly doubt it, as the first party games would be the most downloaded... "Zelda", "Metroid", "Mario", ? They're cash cows... and would probably be the ones to cost you money... Except for the occasional free "Super Mario Bros" game... (yes, the first one)... hehe...
staff
pixel
I think they'll be alot cheaper, since you're cutting off the cost of a cartridge, manual, and packaging.
staff
pixel
And all those retail hikes, and so on.
pixel
"For Revolution and accessing older games, we haven't finalized how we will structure it yet, It is possible that players will enjoy these games without a charge from Nintendo, or there may be some pay structure for accessing the actual product. We haven't finalized it yet. Our goal is to make it as easy and inexpensive as possible, which could be free."

"We believe that there's a number of ways that we can use the system, such as to offer a bonus download with the purchase of a new game, or allow some games to be downloaded during a limited time during a campaign period."

quotes by Mr. Nintendo Presadent Iwata

. . . so basicly he's still thinking. and anther sweet thing he says is he's thinking about online games by nintendo being completle free, which i would highly like alot.
vip
pixel
Iwata: Revolution downloads not free

According to Gamespot... well, you read half the article.... See the TITLE of the article.

And, just in case I read your last sentance wrong, FIRST PARTY multi-player games will be free to PLAY ONLINE, not free to purchase/download... But it's late and I'm tired and might've read it wrong...

Good night.
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #221 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?