March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Fond (and The Not So Fond) Memories Of Muds

pixel
I don't even know how many of your remember MUDs but I would just like to point out that the road to modern mmorpgs was paved by these base, visually...er simple, and text-repetitious games. For those of you who have no idea what I am talking about (for shame!), a standard MUD, or multi-user dungeon/domain (I was always unsure which one it really was) was usually played over a bulletin board system and was nothing more than an interactive online rpg with simple text descriptions. You basically read the entire game, (and yes, that means fights and all); navigation and interaction in the "world" occurred by typing directions and commands. This may not sound very exciting to you spoiled young wipper-snappers, but, as we all know, graphics do not always make the game. Many of the MUDs I played (mostly back in the 90's, but they were very much alive during the early 80's too) were already offering different classes and races, and implementing several other interactive features that many mmorpg's of today are mimicking. Another great feature of MUD's was the fact that they were free. You really have to understand how much coding and scripting was involved in creating a MUD before you understand how unbelievable generous and cool it was that most they were offered for free. However, it must be mentioned that these MUDs were far inferior and less reliable than the MMORPGs of today. I guess, to an extent, you do get what you pay for in MMORPGs... but make no doubt that, during their time, MUDs were awesome and ahead of the game (pun intended).

Now I would like to mention one particular MUD for it is somewhat complimentary to Square-Haven. The name is Ivalice, and it is a MUD based off the Final Fantasy series. They incorporate many the popular classes (as well as others that are in the games, but never used =) and races from the series, my personal favorite being the Royal Guard, who actually uses tools-Do you guys remember tools??? They were awesome! The world of Ivalice is actually structured using various cities and environments from Final Fantasy as well, but with a little bit of original content added too. If you are at all interested, I encourage you all check out the link.

In closing, the purpose of this post was just to badger you all about the old school roots of MMORPGs. I want to give credit where it's do... I got a lot of good times (and bad!... stupid crashes, getting lost in the aimless Norths, Souths, ups and downs of these text mazes, dieing in a new place with no visual reference and no idea how to get back...) out of these MUDs, Ivalice in particular, and I hope that your MMORPG players out there got the chance to play a MUD. Even if you dislike them, or don't care about them you spoiled bastard, at least you know where the idea MMORPGs like World of Warcraft were originally started. /quit
staff
pixel
Ah, but were MUDs really the spawning point for the modern MMO?

I think it's just a part of a picture. The MUD concept is in pursuit of the ability to live out a digital life, not necessarily with adventuring. MUDs are about communication, often in a fantasy world. The term is self-describing: Multi User Dungeon is what it amounts to, but there isn't much else guiding it.

The modern MMORPG, however, is a transition from two things: the direction gaming is taking, and the newfound ability to illustrate that with mass-connectivity.

As genres become less defined and more cross-experimentation becomes not only possible (reduced memory limitations and such) but popular, concepts like Grand Theft Auto and the Sims (or even Spore), which are essentially mish-mashes of various gaming styles, define the modern game. That modern game is being taken online with games like Final Fantasy XI (traditional JRPG with community support) and World of Warcraft (the Diablo single player PC RPG meets RTS Warcraft). Neither of those examples were mainly inspired by MUDs, as they got their roots elsewhere (which I won't elaborate on since it's common knowledge).

As such, it's pretty obvious that there's much more to consider in the modern face of gaming than how text based multiplayer adventures gave real inspiration for creating immersive (online) worlds.
staff
pixel
Yeah, those were mentioned in my cinema subject, it was very interesting to see what I was a bit too late for. I'd agree with Rahul, based on the tiny amount of information I actually know about those games. As in, they were a massive influence on the gaming industry (there not really being one at the time, well in comparison to now!) but I can see what you mean.
pixel
You are absolutely right Rahul. Perhaps I was a little extreme in my homage to MUDs; indeed, MUDs were not the sole source of the idea that became modern MMORPGs. Of course I know this and I did not intend to make MUDs sound as if they were the only and direct beginning, my apologies. However, I attribute them such an exceptional degree of influence primarily because, to my knowledge, they were among the first (and best received) RPG-style games to allow interconnectivity between other human players. Perhaps they did not give inspiration for the online, immersive worlds featured in today's Modern MMO but I believe that they gave something of equal importance... revelation.

In a sense, MUDs were a cross-experimentation and an evolution in game playing. It's impressive how popular and well received they even became considering their lack of graphical support and quasi-complex interface structure. But, in retrospect, it is logical to derive that the accomplished outcome of MUDs was obtained because it realized the potential of the Internet, creating an online game with multiplayer application.

When looking at MUDs in this context, you are right Rahul, there are many factors to look at outside text based online games in regards to the influence of the MMORPGs of today. I also agree that modern gaming is the direct result of subsequent transition in response to technology and innovative thinking... but, nevertheless, I must say that MUDs did provide an essential and necessary step in the evolution of multiplayer gaming. And although they may have little influence over the games of today, I think they greatly impacted the expectations of gamers in their time and played a lead role in the realization for the potential of online, mulitplayer applicability to the gaming industry.

P.S.
Did you guys check out Ivalice? I want some feedback.
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #236 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?