March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Atelier Iris: Eternal Mana

staff
pixel
I just got this thing a few days ago, and have really come to appreciate it during one of my regular gaming binges.

Atelier Iris has everything I love about oldschool sprite-based RPGs mixed with the perfect polish of the PS2 generation of RPGs. The dash of Nippon Ichi publication doesn't hurt either. Really, I was just looking for something to tide myself over until Makai Kingdom, but gem is absolutely fantabulistic (it's a real damn word now).

I feel involved with the characters for the first time since Lunar, enjoy the customization and system flair, and trying to stop playing is like bashing a rock against my foot. Maybe a rectangular rock, I don't know.

If you have it: Discuss.

If you don't, get it, and then: Discuss.
staff
pixel
The fact that you compare the character development to Lunar means I'm not touching this bitch with a ten-foot pole.
staff
pixel
The fact that I have no idea what this game is doesn't help. Care to provide a link to the game you are discussing, rather than what it's tiding you over for?
staff
pixel
Sure thing.

Here it is.

And Rahul, I don't recall comparing the character development to Lunar. I'm just saying that they both fall under the category of "good" with me.
staff
pixel
First thing I must mention is how greatly your rating system over there amuses me. I mean the use of tobacco? I think it's a bit too 'alternative' for my tastes.
:P

Now I know May was 'recent' for looking for a local release date here, but still, finding absolutely no information for an Australian date in the brief look I had suggests it's either going to take a strangely long time, or it's not coming out at all.

I like the cut of it's jib. I'd be far more interested if I could find some form of confirmation it's coming out here.
pixel
Hey Nephtis, if you don't have to own the game to play it, have you considered looking into trying out one of the online rental companies? I'm using gamefly myself right now, and their service is pretty solid. Granted, I am not even sure if they do ship to Australia or not, but it's probably worth a shot if you are interested.

As for this Atelier Iris... well I don't like to prejudge games, and I definitely get a Golden Sun feel from this game from what I've seen, so I'm up for trying it out. But, christ, Lunar was a wretched and fluff packed piece of garbage that made my stomach turn. For its own good, I really do hope that the developers had the good sense to abstain from mirroring Atelier with Lunar, because from what I've seen on the site, this game has potential.
staff
pixel
They don't. We non-americans are not blessed with the right of game rental services. One day, though. One day.
vip
pixel
really? we do in spain, the frenchies had it too
pixel
Conspiracy in the Netherlands!!! We have online gaming rentals here in Australia as well. The government must be trying to oppress the gaming population into submission.
vip
pixel
Either that or Rahul is the only one who plays games in there
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #238 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?