March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Armored Core

pixel
Armored Core is one of the best things to come out of Japan since Squaresoft, and it's the only good game Agetec has ever done (Eternal Ring, anyone?).
The premise is simple. You have a 'mech. You fight with it. Stuff blows up. Then it gets good.
You see, there's hundreds of different parts to customize your 'mech with, purchasable with the money you earn by completing missions, as well as scrapping enemy 'mechs in the arena.
The level of depth in the customization process is whats amazing. There is no 'best part' for any given section. You have to take weight into consideration, as well as power usage, ammo, etc., etc. and decide what type of 'mech you want to build.
Some people prefer tanks, with lumberingly slow tread legs that can carry a ton or twelve of blisteringly powerful weaponry. Some people prefer a stealth 'mech that doesn't show up on enemy radars and can either ping with a machine gun from afar, or sneak up and backstab with a laser sword. Still others prefer a light, speedy 'mech that can dash around the arena, spewing homing missiles to ruin the other guys day. And that's just the beginning of the endless possibilities that any one of the games in the series offers.
Rock.
vip
pixel
I played a demo disk of that game over and over again... Friend and I had a blast making different combinations (mind you, there were like 2 weapon choices, 2 basic leg combos, 2 heads, 2 basic arms, one core, and not much else.... ) and playing each other over and over again on the ONLY level that was available (the forest area).

I've played the assorted Playstation games, and even Armored Core 2, but anything since those titles I haven't had the opportunity to pick up and play...

Very sweet game... :D
pixel
Armored Core sucks. Well maybe that was a bit overboard, but Agetec sucks. Silentline was a crappy expansion pack of armored core 3 and i blew 40 bucks on it. The're whoring the gaming engine like Omega Force whores the Dynasty Warriors engine.

Ew. They would have to make some kickass changes to the series for me to look into it again, if i want a mech-ish type game ill just play Z.O.E. =/
staff
pixel
Chaos said:
Armored Core sucks. Well maybe that was a bit overboard, but Agetec sucks. Silentline was a crappy expansion pack of armored core 3 and i blew 40 bucks on it. The're whoring the gaming engine like Omega Force whores the Dynasty Warriors engine.

Not really. They do re-use the same engine, but they are different games, offering different mecha parts, different setting, and different missions/arena.

Silent Line also added a first person view to the series.
pixel
Rachel said:
Not really. They do re-use the same engine, but they are different games, offering different mecha parts, different setting, and different missions/arena.

Silent Line also added a first person view to the series.

Silent line is an expansion pack. You can yap about "New , levels, parts etc" all you want but thats just what an expansion pack is; new crap. They need to give that whole series a overhaul.

Armored Core Series = Dynasty Warriors Xtreme Legend Series.

Crappy expansions.
vip
pixel
That was one of my gripes about the series after AC2 came out on the PS2.. Everything felt like an expansion outside of a full-blown sequel... unfortunate too... But, I still like it, but also haven't played it since the original PS2 sequel... so, that's not really saying much, is it?

I should look around to see if I can find any of the PS1 games... :)
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #241 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?