March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / The Best Games Of All Time

pixel
just tell me what u guys think r the greatest games of all time

i would have put it on the poll, but then it wouldnt have gotten ur full opinion

i believe for first personshooters, it is halo
rpg-ff7
stradegy- warcraft
:)
staff
pixel
That's nice...
vip
pixel
You realize this is probably the Fifty Fucking Billionth time someone has made this post on an internet message board, correct?
pixel
It seems like kind of an arbitrary choice anyway, I know that I have played so many (enjoyable) games that any sort of "best" choice without being restricted to really specific genres it would depend greatly on my mood and what I was into playing over that time period.
pixel
I move that this thread be immediately struck from the SHMFoD records in systematic fashion on the basis of the utterly lamentable portrayal of unintelligence cast from the mind of from its creator (i.e. Cloud). Three (3) votes of "YEA" shall suffice for removal.

The first vote:

YEA.
pixel
I LikE gAmES!!!!11111 :):)
vip
pixel
Best zombie shooter?
Best fighter?
Best oh christ why do I even BOTHER. NO I want to know. WHY DO I BOTHER?
staff
pixel
I am going to introduce new categories:

Best Game starring spiky-haired teenager with big sword and an identity crisis

Best Shooter starring main character who is a member of an organization named after a Greek city

Best RTS with orcs
pixel
ok, im bored, i dont feel like making a witty excuse as to why this is a stupid topic

Shooter - Halo (but the second Dirge of Cerberus comes out, im not going to put it down until i beat it)

RPG - Final Fantasy VII

Strategy - Final Fantasy Tactics

pixel
I'm gonna have to mess this up and make a buttload more topics. Best:
RPG: FFVII (duh)
Third-Person Adventure: Broken Sword:SotT
Third-Person Action/Adventure:Shenmue
Point and Click Adventure: Grim Fandango
First-Person Adventure: Myst (The First One)
ARPG: Kingdom-Hearts
Card-Based Battle System:Kingdom Hearts:Chain of Memories
First-person shooter:Half-Life 2
Third-Person Shooter:
2D Action Platformer: Castlevania: Symphony of the Night
2D Puzzle Platformer: Oddworld: Abe's Oddysee
Stealth-Action: Metal Gear Solid (the PSX One)

I'll probably think of some more catagories later...
pixel
I notice its the inexperienced rpg gamers that always say 'ff7'
I also notice that whenever i explain to them that they have never played a real rpg, they list rpgs they've played, and all of them don't have a single game older than 1997.

How pathetic.
staff
pixel
I find it a bit annoying too, when people's scopes are limited.

However, if is a difficult problem--I believe that games will age the same way music does; that is to say, the quality of the titles may not increase substantially, but the audience will differ. How many people today--young people--listen to hip-hop over oldies? Give it another decade and we'll have people who have never touched FFVII. Then they'll be telling us how FFXXI is the shit and we'll still be sitting here trying to explain the glories of Chrono Trigger.
vip
pixel
I refuse to respond properly in a thread where the original post is so fucking dreadful
pixel
get final fantasy 7 off this list, the belief that it could be anywhere near this list, is something I find highly disgusting.

Play a good RPG, and not just shitty ones, and then come back, and I'll let you put FF7 somewhere NEAR this list.

Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy VI
Chrono Trigger
Secret of Mana
Xenogears
Seiken Densetsu 3

FF7 had some good sound, a good materia system, and a shitload of Advertising.
Thats...About...It.

For Secret of Mana and Seiken Densetsu 3:
These games are near impossible to find anymore. but you can find Secret of Mana and an SNES possibly on ebay, or wait until its released on the Wii Virtual Console. Seiken Densetsu 3 requires an emulator(i recommend ZSNES) and go download the SD3 rom. Why they kept it to Japan, I don't know.

For Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, FF Tactics, FFVI:
Xenogears and FF Tactics can be bought on ebay, ~20-30$ USD. Chrono Trigger is packaged with FFIV in a compilation, 'Final Fantasy Chronicles,' FFVI packaged with FFV in a compilation, 'Final Fantasy Anthology.' FFVI was also ported to the Game Boy Advance, 'Final Fantasy VI Advance.'

Play the 6 of them, I'll not say anything the next time you post an 'ff7 is the best game of all time' thread.
staff
pixel
How is FF7 not a real RPG? Just because you don't like it doesn't make it any less of an RPG. Besides, just be glad someone even made a game as fantastically market-friendly as FF7 and exposed the RPG genre to new players. Without it maybe we wouldn't have been where we are today.

I recently replayed Secret of Mana with my girlfriend and DIZZAMN, that game has aged badly. The music is still rockin' but the gameplay is just not any kind of fun. Control is slow, the interface is horrible to navigate through (you can never tell which direction a certain sub ring is in) and hard to see because it's overlaid badly on the overworld, etc. There are some very good ideas in it but they really need refreshing. I'd love to see a polished version of Secret of Mana, but no way in hell I'm trusting Square Enix to do anything but rape my memories of it right up in the butt.
pixel
I think Secret of Mana's aged just fine.
its easy to get used to which direction the sub rings are in, spend 10-15 minutes playing and you can easily learn it.

I don't like FF7? I like it fine. I think it's a perfectly AVERAGE RPG.
I especially like the Materia system, and the soundtrack.
But it being one of the best RPGs ever made? not even close.
pixel
oh, and for First person shooter:
Goldeneye 007 for the N64.

And as for being where we are today?
What revolutionary new features did FF7 have??
is it the fact that a simply crappy game can become the best game ever made if theres enough advertising?

You want Revolutionary? Zelda.

Last edited by Veszerin on August 08, 2007

staff
pixel
So basically you don't like Mario?
pixel
I like Mario.

Super Mario RPG, Mario Kart 64, and Super Mario Bros. 3 are among my favorite games.
staff
pixel
Well then I would take a gander that, as far as revolutionary goes, you can't top Mario. He was a household name before Zelda ever graced us with "Well, excuuuuuuuse me!"

Since we seem to be defining revolutionary and all that.

Edit: That reminds me -
http://gameads.gamepressure.com/tv_game_commercial.asp?ID=2689

Last edited by Ziyad on August 09, 2007

staff
pixel
OMG that link is so tired.
staff
pixel
"Tired" is a word you say when things get old.

I think you meant to say "OMG that link is so awesome."

*fixed
vip
pixel
FF VII might have not been the best FF, but it was DEFINITELY revolutionary for the time. CG cutscenes, FF franchise in 3d, materia system, more involved darker narrative (for once you werent some happy ass prince and shit).

If you werent there for it, its easy to discreedit it, its a "had to be there when it came out" kind of thing
staff
pixel
Ziyad said:
"Tired" is a word you say when things get old.

I think you meant to say "OMG that link is so awesome."

I know damn fucking well what it means. This link been posted all over the internet on every message forum and web outlet that has anything remotely to do with games, including this one, twice. You were even one of those people who posted it.
Tired as shit.
staff
pixel
Matt said:
I know damn fucking well what it means. This link been posted all over the internet on every message forum and web outlet that has anything remotely to do with games, including this one, twice. You were even one of those people who posted it.
Tired as shit.
The fact that you dug out hyperlinks made me laugh so hard that I popped a blood vessel in my ass. Now I've got a bruise the shape of Ukraine.

Last edited by Serris on August 10, 2007

staff
pixel
Sorry about that -- you should get that checked out. I don't accept responsibility for anything that happens to your butt, however.

It was pretty easy to find the posts since the most recent one had a reply just a mere few days ago, while in that very post Ziyad complained that the link had already been posted, supplying a link. Easy!

Also, I'm working on web stuff full time right now and I have nothing to do but scour the forums instigating fights with vapid buttmunches like Ziyad.
staff
pixel
It's hip, it's old. I'm bringing it back, Matt. Don't you dare stand in my way.
pixel
Xavi said:
FF VII might have not been the best FF, but it was DEFINITELY revolutionary for the time. CG cutscenes, FF franchise in 3d, materia system, more involved darker narrative (for once you werent some happy ass prince and shit).

If you werent there for it, its easy to discreedit it, its a "had to be there when it came out" kind of thing

I was there.
what, you think i just started playing games 2 years ago?

i've been playing RPGs the past 15 years.

It also had a very good soundtrack, like most of the Squaresoft games.
I especially enjoyed the Cosmo Canyon music :-p
vip
pixel
Dude, you were 9.
staff
pixel
I was 8 when I played Link to the Past, but that didn't stop me appreciating it and being able to regard it as one of the best ever designed games. So I don't think age is really relevant.
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #242 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?