March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / The forlorn PSP landscape

vip
pixel
give me a break...
vip
pixel
I also highly suggest the Katamari game.
Does anyone know the Katamari kanji? Just curious if that translates like I think it does.

Last edited by Bob on December 22, 2006

vip
pixel
AND it's so delciously hack-and-mod-able.
Yum yum yum.
Only problem I've had with it is it's lack of ergonomical-grips, and the depth-perception of some games.
www.instructables.com
staff
pixel
The PS3 will be rendered irrelevant when FFXIII, MGS4, and RE5 are ported to the glorious DS!
staff
pixel
You know what I just learned? I just learned that there's a Maxim Korea.

I'm going to go bash my head against a desk now.
staff
pixel
Girls play games? Really? *blinks*

But seriously: at the risk of being eaten alive by the parents (?) of Raychul, she pales in comparison to Jessica Chobot. I can't believe Jessica wasn't included on the initial list, too. I thought she was pretty popular for that PSP image!
staff
pixel
jeriaska said:
As is the case with the PS3, people are calling it a failure because it has not *yet* saturated the mainstream.

No. They're calling it a failure because that's what it is. There are little to no good games on it, and retailers are dropping the UMD movies faster than an unplanned pregnancy after prom night. The only positive aspects are that it's "hackable". That means that the only redeeming factor of the portable, isn't even really supported by Sony, but by the ever dwindling community.

They've had 2 years to "saturate the mainstream". How long are we supposed to give them? Instead of creating a handheld console, Sony came out with a mediocre movie/mp3 player that just happens to play games. They don't have much for developer support, aside from churning out crap ported from PS1.

Who the hell is the "mainstream" that is supposed to jump on this? Average Joe, who for the price of this could buy an iPod, dedicated solely to playing MP3s/Movies, and hold 30GB without the need of an add on memory stick? Gamers, who would use this to play games? Well, that would be plausible if there was something unique, innovative to draw in gamers. It's the superior handheld in terms of technology, but that means nothing if there isn't anything that truly exploits it. This is like a Bizarro World, with PS1 being beaten by Nintendo 64.

Would PS3 connectivity save PSP? No. The time they could have been "saturating the mainstream" was wasted. It's to the point where people just don't want it. There's too much negative feedback associated with it now.
vip
pixel
(shes talking about the PSP)
vip
pixel
she's hot.
vip
pixel
she is?
vip
pixel
the girl in the picture... hellz yeah.
vip
pixel
She's not that hot. Her eys are a little too perfectly droopy, her lips are wonky, she's no weathered-ness to her face, and she's made of pixels.
vip
pixel
pixels can be very hot.
vip
pixel
I DEMAND proof! Ive shared too many pictures of my shiny abs here and demand retribution
pixel
jeriaska said:
Quale said:
Also might I add, "you spoony bard" is still a mistranslation and under your theorized world of perfect translations, such a thoughtful, considerate and creative translation would have never existed, so once again, thank you for backing up my argument. You did all the work for me.

Please consult Wikipedia and try again. Also a couple of classes in English 101 would help too. Just don't take it harshly, I am just clearly better than you.

Quale, come on, I never implied that I am better than you. If you find me guilty of bullying or cruelty, I invite you to call me on it. If I'm merely pointing out factual errors in your arguments, that's a service, not an act of cruelty.

"You spoony bard" is a mistranslation only insofar as it is not a direct translation. This word "mistranslation" is your word. I have never used it. I believe this to be the source of confusion in this argument.

I am not hoping for an end to "mistranslations." That line of reasoning assumes that there can somehow be an exact one-to-one literal correspondence between paragraphs written in Japanese and English. Such a thing is impossible.

Now, the localization of Final Fantasy VII was an attempt to make a one-to-one translation. There, all the kuso's and chikusho's were translated as shit and shee-yit. The error is not "mistranslation." The error *is* in not being familiar with the culture of the audience.

Woolsey committed "mistranslations," but they were creative and I enjoyed them. This is why I praise Woolsey, who was an artist, and jeer the FFVII people, who were hacks.

Do you see any flaws in that argument? Ie, the argument I'm actually putting forward, not the strawman horseshit you falsely attribute to be mine.

Love the late and complete post edit.

Ahh, see what happens when you actually go to the effort to form an argument? Not bad really! Your first post on the otherhand was utter horseshit, it said nothing and it proved nothing other than an inane showing off of knowledge. In fact, there really is no argument here as all you have been doing is arguing trivialities and doing nothing in the form of really arguing. But I would like to direct you to one thing,
Wikipedia said:
In the original English translation of Final Fantasy IV for the Super NES, which is often attributed to Ted Woolsey, but was actually credited to Kaoru Moriyama, K. Okahisa, and H. Takahashi

I took your advice and found this, whoops!

That Top 10 Hottest Girl Gamers thing is rather amusing considering 4 of them are Frag Dolls, who are more of a publicity stunt than real gamers.
staff
pixel
Quale said:
But I would like to direct you to one thing,
Wikipedia said:
In the original English translation of Final Fantasy IV for the Super NES, which is often attributed to Ted Woolsey, but was actually credited to Kaoru Moriyama, K. Okahisa, and H. Takahashi

I took your advice and found this, whoops!

For your edification, Quale, here's an excerpt from an interview with Ted Woolsey regarding Final Fantasy II.

Final Fantasy II, released earlier that same year, was initially translated in Tokyo. However, faced with an almost unreadable script, Squaresoft’s American sales team spent extra man-hours trying to fix it up. “When you have the sales guy editing one file, and the finance guy doing others, and the files are not contiguous, you end up with a mess,” said Woolsey.

Here's the link:

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/column_index.php?story=6361

I respect that you took my advice. But my conclusion remains the same. Your argument in favor of slovenly localizations does not hold water.

Last edited by jeriaska on January 12, 2007

vip
pixel
Lumines II, Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, Killzone II, Loco Roco, Mega Man remakes, upcoming Warriors port, Star Wars Lethal Alliance(if yer a Star Wars Nerd like me), Death Jr., Gitaroo Man Lives!, Grand Theft Auto games, Tekken(dude this is so good), Powerstone Port and Valkyrie Profile Lenneth.
vip
pixel
Death Jr. sucks and Tekken is a garbage franchise
vip
pixel
Death Jr. rocked, and Tekken is a badass fucking franchise. C'mon. Dinosaurs with boxing gloves on? and PANDA BEARS!!!
staff
pixel
I would immediately dismiss any ports that you mentioned, which comprise more than half of your list. I'm not going to buy the game a second time just so I can play it on a tiny screen.
In addition, there are titles like the Power Stone Collection that you mentioned whose presence on the PSP diminishes the integrity of the franchise. I love Power Stone more than I love Jesus, and the Collection that was released last year is pure fucking trash. The PSP is not equipped to handle the game control-wise, and they didn't even include Wifi support. Bullshit.

I did recently get Metal Gear Portable Ops, however, which is my first PSP game since Hot Shots.
vip
pixel
Did you like it?
vip
pixel
I recently got Lumines for the 360, that game is AWESOME.

When and if the PSP redesign comes out, I'll probably buy one though. I really do want to play Loco Roco, Tactics, MGS and a couple of others
vip
pixel
The Raging Spaniard said:
When and if the PSP redesign comes out,

What do you mean?
vip
pixel
Theres been rumors and/or offhand confirmations that the PSP will undergo a redesign, like the DS to DS lite (cause the PSP would still be outselling the DS if it wasnt for that facelift)
staff
pixel
Bob said:
Did you like it?

No! The fucking cat chewed up the PSP charger wire so I got Elite Beat Agents instead.
staff
pixel
You should import Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan, Matt. I find it was much funnier and the songs were catchier.
vip
pixel
If you like J-Pop that is
staff
pixel
omg i love it so much
vip
pixel
Lemme know when you beat it, I found the 3rd difficulty level to be way harder than the 4th
vip
pixel
Ugh. I somehow doubt a facelift 's gonna help up sales, y'know?
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #276 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?