March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / News / Breath of Fire V receives blessings of gaming music gods

staff
pixel
Woo! My first general gaming article.

I have many comments to make.

The question is not whether the music will be good but whether the game will live up to the music.

This article is just an excuse to link to as many bare game coverage pages as I can and to show how much more I know than RPGFan. :)

They are freelance composers, right?

I guess Mitsuda worked on the Biohazard (Resident Evil) games, but I don't know in what capacity.

Why did they waste their time on Legaia Duel Saga??

<em>, or <i>?

Rob, read the article to find out how to use "whose." :)

staff
pixel
Eh, I find your "end of mediocre music" comment a little too subjective for a news post. This is SH though so I guess it doesn't matter.
But BoF3 has awesome music if you're into jazz! And BoF4 just plain has awesome music. Geeeez. :P
vip
pixel
It's called having an opinion...

Mitsuda and Sakimoto should proove to be a great team though... :D
pixel
Author opinion and the actual meat of the news post should remain seperate. You should either mark your opinion or just post it in the comments.

I can't say I'm all that excited about BoF4, although the screens do look quite nice. I've never really enjoyed any of the games very much, they all seemed pretty slow paced.
staff
pixel
Yay! Apologists in the midst!

Duly noted. That was probably the most mean-spirited comment made in some time.

However, there are several things I wanted to convey with the headline:

1) "Mediocre" is meant as a relative, not absolute term. The light jazz of Breath of Fire III is somewhat acceptable, and the traditional RPG music of Breath of Fire II is also tolerable fare. At the level of Chrono Cross, though? I dare you to argue that.

2) "Decisive" suggests that Capcom is serious enough to enlist the services of two of the great composers in the industry. I accounted for the fact that I didn't know how Breath of Fire IV's score was. Was BoFIV a decisive end? The implication is that Mitsuda and Sakimoto are badasses.

3) It might not even be a decisive "end," if in fact I am of the opinion that the series' music as a whole is mediocre. Come on, it's just an overstatment that you should take with a grain of salt because I don't even refer to it in the rest of the "article."

In the summary or headline (most of the time, summary) I intend to express in some way what I really think about the news. Hence you see "Nyah, nyah Japanese gamers" and skepticism that the FFX spin-offs actually exist. These are isolated, however, and don't infect the rest of the article. This is the way I'm going to continue to do it, when applicable, and I just don't give a fuck!

Also, if anyone noticed, everything else in the "article" is as blandly objective as I can get.
staff
pixel
Also, "Rikku's Lesbo-rotic Adventures" and "FFIII Officially canned according to Stephen Wilson."
staff
pixel
Shit, we pissed off Paul!

..Run!
staff
pixel
Ok, fine... I thought about what Matt might say, and this is what I came up with.
staff
pixel
Oh yeah.

Shar: I lied. Again. :(
staff
pixel
I noticed. I checked the boards earlier today and went, "Last post by Paul!? He lied to me!"
Post a Comment
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #550 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?