March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. Don't despair, however; the work started here more than ten years ago continues at Videogam.in.

Forums / Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince

vip
pixel
Is anyone else here... because my memmory is worth shit, a Harry Potter nerd fan like me? anyone excited for the 6th book 'Half Blood Prince' ? It is supposedily coming out July 16 (hopefully), waiting for what, two years its finally coming out! I hear the half blood prince isn't reffering to Harry or Voldemort... I'm preordering mine at Amazon.com as soon as I move (which is like three to four weeks from now and I dont know my new address yet)

discuss all things harry or I'll be forced to fill this topic with Harry Potter pictures of goodness (or if anyone else IS as much of a nerd as me and want that, I can do that anyway.)
staff
pixel
I really like the setting and characters, but I've only read the first two.
vip
pixel
I have yet to read a harry potter book, see a Harry Potter Movie, or own anything Harry Potter related...
vip
pixel
Rachel said:
I really like the setting and characters, but I've only read the first two.




its funny because starting with the third one the mood just completely changes to dark, and just gets very dark, and less and less like a child's story (by the fifth one I was wondering 'little kids read this?!?!!') you can tell from the third movie, but what I didn't like about the POA movie was the amount they left out (and the REALLY obnoxious editing)
staff
pixel
Yes, but it was still worlds better than the first two dismal movies.
vip
pixel
Matt said:
Yes, but it was still worlds better than the first two dismal movies.



thats because the story is better than the first two, it was more adult and less cheesey, I just didn't like what the y tu mama tambien guy did to it
vip
pixel
yeah but youre like, one of the few that didnt. His approach was far more gritty and less flashy, whihc adapts MUCH better to the way the books are set, plus it paves the way for the next director beautifuly

and yeah, the half blood prince will rock <3
vip
pixel
The Raging Spaniard said:
yeah but youre like, one of the few that didnt. His approach was far more gritty and less flashy, whihc adapts MUCH better to the way the books are set, plus it paves the way for the next director beautifuly

and yeah, the half blood prince will rock <3




from what I knew, most people DIDN'T like the way he did the third one, at least people who've read the book, mainly because a lot of important things, namely about the map and Harry's father... were just completely left out, things that are important in the next book too... his stag patronis was never explained, and the editing WAS annoying. However, its still my favorite out of the three movies so far I was just dissappointed because I had hoped it would have been better. That normally happens though, with movies you see after having read the book, even Lord of the Rings...
staff
pixel
Personally I don't like the movies at all really, although I will admit they have gone from complete shit to ok I suppose.

I love the books, own all 5 and have read all but the 5th several times (only once for the fifth). All I can say is the ending to the 5th book was extremely shit, and if the series doesn't pick up I'm outta here. I have high hopes for the next book since in theory there will only be 7.

I actually didn't know of this book's release, it's been so long since I've read the books I sort of forgot about the next title. I must also mention how please I am about the adult covers, they are far cooler and are always available because the little kiddies snap up the crappy ones.

Also, the 3rd film ran into a bit of trouble over here in Australia ratings-wise. It originally got an M15+ rating, which is the same as Final Fantasy games get, because of it's darker nature. An appeal was made and it was controversially changed back to PG, same as all the other films. Interesting to see how long they can keep this up, each book takes it up another notch.

Sorry about the long post, but my love for the series has just been rekindled!
vip
pixel
I think its true that there are only going to be 7 because one book for each of the 7 years at Hogwarts.... if you go to ANY bookstore they all have huge giant signs for the Half Blood Prince, its a big deal to booknerds like me
pixel
I'll still read the sixth book, but it's not particularly high on my list...the last two books just dragged on forever in her effort to make them longer and longer and if the next two keep it up...well, I just don't have that much shelf space...
staff
pixel
if you go to ANY bookstore they all have huge giant signs for the Half Blood Prince, its a big deal to booknerds like me


Yeah I would normally notice it, but living on campus at uni seems to have isolated me from most of the outside world.
pixel
The reason the third movie was different is because they had a different director.
staff
pixel
blazeshak said:
The reason the third movie was different is because they had a different director.



And the acting deteriorated into little more than pantomime.
staff
pixel
Harry Potter and the Half-Baked Sixth Book In a Series That Wasn't Much Good to Begin With; Addendum: Reality-Show Edition Where Someone Does Something Unexpected and Brash to Sell More Copies
pixel
I read an article about the half blooded prince
and i heard 1 character is supose 2 die is it true??
staff
pixel
Yeah, Ron dies...gets it from behind.
pixel
oh wow sad>_^
staff
pixel
Err... yeah...anyway... not long now...
staff
pixel
Actually, I hope Ron chokes to death on his own tears.

Then I would give my hard-earned money to watch that movie.
vip
pixel
Rahul said:
Harry Potter and the Half-Baked Sixth Book In a Series That Wasn't Much Good to Begin With; Addendum: Reality-Show Edition Where Someone Does Something Unexpected and Brash to Sell More Copies





ANY book that gets kids... or for that matter people to read is a good book, this world is full of idiots whoul would rather loose brain cells staring at a TV than pick up a book.
pixel
so true^_^
staff
pixel
Fuck no, kids read plenty lately, just not in book format. Reading Harry Potter under the misbegotten guise of education is as effective as calling Columbine a good targeting exercise for would-be gun enthusiasts.
pixel
wow
well i read alot of manga
but other than that not alot of the other
stuff
staff
pixel
I think about 30% of my reading diet is digested over the course of an RPG.

And maybe another 10% choking on Rahul's incisive quips.

Being his bitch is not fun. :(
staff
pixel
Lick his boots! (I'd prefer them less muddy for when I have to again)

Yeah, aside from finally finishing Musashi (great book, begin reading now, you have no excuse if you live in the U.S. It's actually distruibuted locally over there!) and that was fairly long. Other than Harry Potter, and an attempt at reading Lord of the Rings (I forgot how impossible reading is for me outside of holidays) I can't say I've read much.

Mine's mostly devoted to slogging on through academia to use in essays these days, which is never a bad thing when you're doing anime!
pixel
Fuck no, kids read plenty lately, just not in book format. Reading Harry Potter under the misbegotten guise of education is as effective as calling Columbine a good targeting exercise for would-be gun enthusiasts.


That seems a little harsh Rahul... I believe when Yuna said any book was good if it could encourage kids to read, she was not intending to imply the educational benefits of Harry Potter. Granted Harry Potter is not "educational", but how many books have you read (and we're talking about novels, not informative tutorials and the like) that really prove educational? I must agree with her that book reading is much more beneficial to kids today than the MTV Garbage, Reality Television that is currently plaguing our society... if only for ingraining the english language and proper grammatical format/structure for kids. And perhaps you may think Harry Potter barely accomplishes this... or maybe you don't like the story or how popular and well received the novel is. Anyways, I dont pretend to know what your dislike of Harry Potter is, but I completely agree with Yuna that Harry Potter rocks and that reading is far superior to mainstream television programming that targets young teens nowadays... regardless if it is Harry Potter or only blogs and forums about video games. B)
staff
pixel
Aberkong said:
That seems a little harsh Rahul... I believe when Yuna said any book was good if it could encourage kids to read, she was not intending to imply the educational benefits of Harry Potter.  Granted Harry Potter is not "educational", but how many books have you read (and we're talking about novels, not informative tutorials and the like) that really prove educational?  I must agree with her that book reading is much more beneficial to kids today than the MTV Garbage, Reality Television that is currently plaguing our society... if only for ingraining the english language and proper grammatical format/structure for kids.  And perhaps you may think Harry Potter barely accomplishes this... or maybe you don't like the story or how popular and well received the novel is.  Anyways, I dont pretend to know what your dislike of Harry Potter is, but I completely agree with Yuna that Harry Potter rocks and that reading is far superior to mainstream television programming that targets young teens nowadays... regardless if it is Harry Potter or only blogs and forums about video games.  B)



what

My question is whether there's any value to be had from "increasing reading in children". Fuck that. Reading is the past. Books have been bested by superior quality immersive entertainment, such as (yes) TV, radio/music or the Internet. There's a greater variety of input to be had of a more easily digestible nature than the activity of reading a book allows for. As vapid as MTV is, it provides a straightforward portal to current society for the target audience, even if it focuses on the bling-bling model rather than something more ethically impacting. But that's what other channels, like Discovery Channel, are for.

Don't for a minute think that buying into propaganda of Harry Potter's implied "educational value", as I choose to paraphrase the attempts to overglorify the book's success at getting children "back into reading", is going to have any sort of valuable effect in the long term -- thinking that way is shallow and poorly calculated. Society does not run on the whims and impulsive outcries of bookworms and traditionalists. As such, children will continue to develop and grow up as they would have if Harry Potter never existed. The result is marginalised by all the other input they receive from culture overall.
pixel
Bill gates learned everything from TV and movies? No I don't think he did. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure that he picked up a book or two in his life and I am sure that helped him get where he is today. Reading books helps children to fantasize . They can picture the story that they see in their minds and not what a movie tells them they are seeing.
Don't get me wrong I love movies...I get in for free most of the time and have seen most at least twice before they are out of the theatre. However I believe you learn from all three, Movies, Television and Books. You learn to dream and break away from the norm...which lets face it gets worse every day. Reading Harry Potter is an escape. And if that gets kids to read then HELL YEAH BITCHES!!!!
staff
pixel
blazeshak said:
Bill gates learned everything from TV and movies? No I don't think he did. As a matter of fact I am pretty sure that he picked up a book or two in his life and I am sure that helped him get where he is today. Reading books helps children to fantasize . They can picture the story that they see in their minds and not what a movie tells them they are seeing.
    Don't get me wrong I love movies...I get in for free most of the time and have seen most at least twice before they are out of the theatre. However I believe you learn from all three, Movies, Television and Books. You learn to dream and break away from the norm...which lets face it gets worse every day. Reading Harry Potter is an escape. And if that gets kids to read then HELL YEAH BITCHES!!!!


Yes, and as you may have realised if you had bothered to actually pay attention to my post, my point is that culturally injected educational methods are implicit and not exclusive to a certain medium. People will learn the ethical values and moral ways of the time using whatever information resources are available, and claiming that "getting them back into reading" is of any use over that which is currently present and popular (TV, gaming, the web, etc) is irrelevant and transparently guised.
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #8 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?

0.843