March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Chrono Trigger / Has Square Forgot About Chrono Trigger?

pixel
has every body forgotten about the chrono trigger series. I really enjoyed it, and am still waitning for another. When can we expect another. I don't care what the system, i just hate to see the series not continue. i'm sure it would be good for the company so far as business goes, so why hasn't anything been said?

hopefully they aren't saying anything, because they want to surprise people with it.... hopefully.
staff
pixel
I really don't know what you're talking about.

There's nothing of any kind of apathy about the series; just the dispair that comes with years without a sequel.

The only signs are simple rumors of a "Chrono Break", completely unconfirmed in any way shape or form.

Considering the way Enix has taken to their own titles, however, I doubt we'll be seing a new incarnation of Square's classic any time soon.
vip
pixel
im guessing theyll just whip it out one of these years, kida like how they were like "bam! brave fencer mushashi sequel!"
pixel
Well the copyright for "Chrono Break" was filed by square but they haven't really seemed to do anything more than that regarding CT. I'm sure there are going to be crazed fans going around saying that it means that another game is in production but they've had the copyright for quite awhile and nothing has been revealed of it so far so there's no reason to expect it developing into anything yet. Another CT game would rock though.

Fun Fact: Xenogears is rumored to have originally been meant as a sequel to CT.
staff
pixel
Gogar said:
Well the copyright for "Chrono Break" was filed by square but they haven't really seemed to do anything more than that regarding CT.

Actually, it's no longer patented.
staff
pixel
It's more like Xenogears was originally budgeted as being the continuation project for the Chrono team, but Takahashi had a more evolved story idea so they developed it into that instead. Someone sure must've been gullible to let him have a crack at making a game! Bwahahah
pixel
Now I'm probably completely out of what little mind I've still got, but I saw the other day a manga called "Chrono-Crusade", and it had the logo from Chrono-Trigger and all, but I flipped through it and it looked nothing like it had anything to do with the games... :huh:
staff
pixel
That's Chrno Crusade, and the logo looks familiar, yes, but it's totally unrelated.
pixel
Damn, as long as SE still has the Chrono Brake registry in Japan, I will keep on hoping ontill- the darkness at the end of time, or something, with the Timedevouer.hohohoho
vip
pixel
I don't think they've forgotten about it, but the fact that most of the Chrono team is working elsewhere somehow might hinder the progress of another Chrono game.
pixel
also like kurgan, i can only hope that they make another.
Message to SE:PLEASE PLEASE MAKE ANOTHER... please, with a cherry on top!
pixel
They are prolly helping with a diffrent game like the musashi sequal.
staff
pixel
Demonized Joker said:
They are prolly helping with a diffrent game like the musashi sequal.

No, they left Square entirely...most forming Monolithsoft, makers of the horrid shitfest Xenosaga.
staff
pixel
It's times like these I'm thankful that said game never came out here, all I seem to see around here is negative bashing of it.
staff
pixel
Rachel is just bitter because Namco and Monolithsoft initially gave Takahashi all the reigns on the Xenosaga series and he drove it into the ground (read: he couldn't make a fun game if he had the brain of Miyamoto, and Squaresoft holding him back on Xenogears is the only thing that guaranteed its playability). And then Namco attempted to salvage the series by making Episode II more streamlined, which didn't work either.

If they ever make Episode III (doubtful), let us hope it's a comeback on the same level as that of Star Wars.
vip
pixel
I still haven't finished the first one......and I don't intend to either....
staff
pixel
Rahul said:
Rachel is just bitter because Namco and Monolithsoft initially gave Takahashi all the reigns on the Xenosaga series and he drove it into the ground (read: he couldn't make a fun game if he had the brain of Miyamoto, and Squaresoft holding him back on Xenogears is the only thing that guaranteed its playability). And then Namco attempted to salvage the series by making Episode II more streamlined, which didn't work either.

If they ever make Episode III (doubtful), let us hope it's a comeback on the same level as that of Star Wars.

Episode 3 and 4 have been in development since the release of ep 2 in Japan...that's all we've heard about it.

Episode 1 wasn't that bad...and while Takahashi couldn't make a good game if his life depended on it (I've said many times that Xenogears was probably a lucky fluke.), he can make one hell of a story. As can Soraya. In fact, her version of Episode 2 probably would have been immensly better.

From an FAQ Soraya Saga posted on her website and later removed:
4. Soraya decided to give answers to most frequently questions. The following are the summary of answers.

* Leaving was not Soraya's decision. Soraya was said goodbye same as in the case of other Episode I artists including
Mr. Yasunori Mitsuda, Mr. Kunihiko Tanaka,
and the Mr. you-know-who. (Please do not ask Soraya who he is.)
* Soraya is a freelance artist.
* There was no particular reason behind the displacement of old artists. The new director of Xenosaga II/III just wants
the saga all new.
* The official advertisement says the new saga will have new sounds, new designs (as seen in Epsode II) and more easier
story to read (as seen in the disc 2 of the Episode II).
* Soraya and Tetsuya Takahashi were marginally involved in the Episode II by contributing the first version of the
script. (It was not a plot outline but a complete script including actual characters' lines.)
* Soraya's last contribution to the saga was the first version of the script for the Episode II and rewrites of The
Pied Piper. (The game for Vodafone sold in Japan 2004)
* The shortened/adapted script of the Episode II is by Monolithsoft.
* You can see Soraya's mark she left to the Episode II in:
o The conversation between Juli and Ziggy
o Momo Encephalon (In first version, It was not Juli's idea of destroying Momo's memory, but a subcommitteeman's.
Juli hesitated.)
o The story about U.R.T.V. (with the exception of the chapters after Momo Encephalon and young Albedo's verbal
abuse/violent acts against Sakura. They were added by Monolithsoft.)
o Albedo's short speech about the higher dimension. (His last words "You look like you lost your sweetheart ...
anyway I hate you both" were added by Monolithsoft.)
* Soraya doesn't know what the story of the Episode III will be like. The new writer of the Episode III will write a
new story in his style. (The chapters after Momo Encephalon and Disc 2 are his style.)
* The new team has the right to change or ignore Takahashi's plot outline.
* Soraya wrote approximately half of of the script for the Episode I. She is responsible for:
o Ziggy and his family, Voyager, Momo, Mizrahis, Godwins, Yuriev, U.R.T.V.s, and the part of Shion during her
stay in Durandal and the Kookai Foundation
* Soraya is not an expensive artist.
* Soraya has created no delay.
* The parent company is not responsible to the changeover.
* The first version of the script by Soraya and Takahashi was not religiously or politically sensitive. It had just
harmless chapters like:
o Ziggy's past history (as seen in The Pied Piper)
o U.R.T.V.'s past history (as seen in the Episode II)
o Shion's past history with Febronia (removed)
o Jr's rapid growing (removed)
o Both juvenile and grown-up Jr. available in the battle (removed)
o The ghost of the old Miltia (removed)
o The death of Sakura (removed)
o Brief reunion with grown-up Citrine (removed)
o Gaignun vs Zohar emulators (removed)
o Jr.'s transformation/overdrive (removed)
o Jr. & Albedo vs U-DO vs KOS-MOS 3rd armament (removed)
o Shion's spiritual seeking/witnessing/awakening (removed)
o The truth about KOS-MOS (removed)
o Conversation between chaos and the red cloak man (removed)
o Conversation between Nephilim and the boy with the blocks (removed)
o An antimatter annihilation of Albedo (removed)
* Soraya has no intention of playing for attention. No one has to pay attention to this.
* Soraya has no option to come back. And she knows well the saga no longer needs Saga.

staff
pixel
Rachel said:
Episode 3 and 4 have been in development since the release of ep 2 in Japan...that's all we've heard about it.
Episode 1 wasn't that bad...and while Takahashi couldn't make a good game if his life depended on it (I've said many times that Xenogears was probably a lucky fluke.), he can make one hell of a story. As can Soraya. In fact, her version of Episode 2 probably would have been immensly better.

I know, but their being under development doesn't guarantee their release -- Namco hopelessly overestimated the sales of Ep2 worldwide, and it's not even remotely meeting them. There's every chance they'll scrap the entire thing. However, the fact that Xenosaga DS is confirmed suggests that less high-profile/less expensive iterations of the series may continue.

There's also a certain logic to assigning a different writer and having the story simplified: Namco saw that the series was not selling as expected, and attempted to improve that. The changes they made hardly improved the situation, however, and in fact only dismayed the hardcore fans since they primarily attached to Xenosaga via the authors.

It's a sad story. I wish it'd played out better, because it could have been a legendary undertaking. I guess neither Monolithsoft nor Namco have the experience required to accurately manage a high-level RPG franchise at this point. Perhaps the next time they try, after Xenosaga, they'll have more insight and skill inherent to make something worthwhile.
vip
pixel
xenosaga always seemed like a game for a particular section of rpg fans anyways

my roommate is playing eps 2 now and he seemes to like it well enough, so far I hate the music though and the fact that he likes it more than the eps1 music enrages me
vip
pixel
The Raging Spaniard said:
xenosaga always seemed like a game for a particular section of rpg fans anyways

my roommate is playing eps 2 now and he seemes to like it well enough, so far I hate the music though and the fact that he likes it more than the eps1 music enrages me

Basically, the whole Xeno series requires you to be tolerant. None of the interfaces have really been user-friendly (they seem akin to trying to show an Amish person how to drive the space shuttle), so its all just asking yourself whether you can force yourself through it to see a few more bits of story. Though at least Xenogears's battles made some sense...Xenosaga Ep1 is just way too ambitious\retarded for me.
vip
pixel
=the future for this series seems kind of bleek. The only reason I started playing Xenosaga was because i actually LIKE the idea of half-hour cutscenes and less gameplay (don't get me wrong, I like me some gameplay, but not the type they were offering in Xenosaga). I want to find out what happens, but what's the point of me playing through to a cliffhanger at the end of Episode 1, pick up Episode 2 and play through it to hit another cliffhanger and then wonder what might've happened if they would've released the rest of the series.
staff
pixel
The thing is though, Episode 1 was originally supposed to incorporate all of Episode 2. so Episode 1's cliffhanger was never meant to be!
staff
pixel
Rachel said:
The thing is though, Episode 1 was originally supposed to incorporate all of Episode 2. so Episode 1's cliffhanger was never meant to be!

That's why it's less a cliffhanger and more a general halt of the storyline.
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #151 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?