March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / News / Discussion Point: the transition from Final Fantasy XII to XIII

Discussion Point: the transition from XII to XIII
Final Fantasy XIII, whenever it finally launches, will take us right back to the zippers-and-hairspray aesthetic of the Nomura/Kitase/Nojima alliance that rules the series (and indeed, nearly everything to come from the Square half of Square Enix) these days. No doubt XIII will feature very impressive visuals and some clever combat rules and impressive character-twinking possibilities and an inventive new take on the concept of amnesiac heroes who have to save the the world from a beautiful, porcelain-skinned megalomaniac that wants to become a new god. But it likely won't be a brilliant, innovative fusion of numerous disparate styles, a synthesis of western and eastern RPG tradition, a collaboration of single- and multi-player RPG concepts. It won't be Final Fantasy XII, in other words.
- Jeremy Parish, Final Fantasy XII review
Are you looking forward to the transition back to a traditional Final Fantasy XIII, or are you loathing it?
staff
pixel
Final Fantasy XIII, whenever it finally launches, will take us right back to the zippers-and-hairspray aesthetic of the Nomura/Kitase/Nojima alliance that rules the series (and indeed, nearly everything to come from the Square half of Square Enix) these days. No doubt XIII will feature very impressive visuals and some clever combat rules and impressive character-twinking possibilities and an inventive new take on the concept of amnesiac heroes who have to save the the world from a beautiful, porcelain-skinned megalomaniac that wants to become a new god. But it likely won't be a brilliant, innovative fusion of numerous disparate styles, a synthesis of western and eastern RPG tradition, a collaboration of single- and multi-player RPG concepts. It won't be Final Fantasy XII, in other words.
- Jeremy Parish, Final Fantasy XII review

Are you looking forward to the transition back to a traditional Final Fantasy XIII, or are you loathing it?

I'm going to go with loathing it.
vip
pixel
Don't forget to throw in several whirlwind adolescent love interests that bog down the storyline and distract from the action. I'm looking at you FFVIII, FFIX, FFX.

Seriously, when I heard one of the summons was a motorcycle I wrote this one off. Maybe they'll make up for it somehow...

cough *vagrant story sequel* cough
staff
pixel
Wait, what? Motorcycle summon? Haven't heard of this before, but it doesn't sound good. Not terribly disturbed though, since I too am not expecting much from FFXIII.

Hamauzu might come up with some excellent music, though. I'd be a little more confident in this department if his Dirge of Cerberus score wasn't such a snorefest.

Last edited by Kanji on November 29, 2007

staff
pixel
Dean said:
cough *vagrant story sequel* cough

Don't hold your breath! Yasumi Matsuno has reportedly left Square Enix and is rumored to be working for Nintendo EAD. A Vagrant Story sequel without him would be a grotesque abomination.
vip
pixel
Well I'm sure Nintendo will put Matsuno to good use. I can't wait for whatever Shakespearian epic unfolds in the next "Kirby" game.

Maybe Square will hand the Vagrant Story reins to Tetsuya Nomura's crew so another franchise can be poisoned with androgyny. And maybe then we can finally have more weather inspired names for characters! So long Ashley Riot, hello Tornado Riot! *thumbs up*
staff
pixel
Haha most excellent.

Matsuno at Nintendo is the most exciting prospect I can imagine. If it's not true I'll be wallowing in melancholy forevermore.
staff
pixel
FOREVERMORE!!!
vip
pixel
I heard he's working on the new "Cooking Mama" title. It's called "Cooking Mama: The Muffin Wars Unfold." It's rated "T" because half of the cooking mamas die in a gory, egg whisk fight. It's intense!
staff
pixel
omfg hottttt
vip
pixel
MmMMMmmm... well, Im looking forward to XIII for all its worth. Parish is seriously jumping to conclusions and its not like Vaan or Vayne were missing out on the hairgel or porcelain skin.

Plus, all the zipper and belt buckles criticism is retarded.
staff
pixel
your retarded
vip
pixel
Must be because I have clothes with zippers and need the use of belts
vip
pixel
Yeah, but those belt buckles aren't around your neck and arms and legs and across your chest.

Look at your thigh for a minute... does it have three belt buckles going around it, holding nothing? Congratulations, you are not a Nomura character design.
staff
pixel
Xavi is European, so he might just be!
pixel
ok off topic time why is the ff12 monstor list VERY lacking

most of the enemies i need are missing i need an update i can give you a list too

vagrant goul
larva eater
yiazmat
dustia (low level challenge)
omega
and last seer

please help a new member who came wondering to this really neat website!
Post a Comment
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1813 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?