March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / The forlorn PSP landscape

staff
pixel
I'm curious if anybody has a PSP, and if so, what do you play? My library has yet to expand beyond Lumines and Hot Shots.

Why would anybody buy a PSP? I mean, besides the obvious turnoffs, what is the attraction? My purchase was an ironic impulse buy, ironic in that Sony had nothing to do with it despite themselves. It was Nintendo's fault for, at the time, failing to fulfill an innate need, while at the same time those stupid fuckfaces at Penny Arcade were touting with religious fervor how great Lumines was. Motherfucking entrapment.
staff
pixel

Here's the viral blogging apology, by the way:

"Busted. Nailed. Snagged. As many of you have figured out (maybe our speech was a little too funky fresh???), Peter isn't a real hip-hop maven and this site was actually developed by Sony. Guess we were trying to be just a little too clever. From this point forward, we will just stick to making cool products, and use this site to give you nothing but the facts on the PSP."

Yeah, better stick to making cool products. What are you, Shigeru Miyamoto?--You're a fucking marketing exec

Last edited by jeriaska on May 17, 2007

vip
pixel
I want to get one because it has 5 or so games I want ... but I will not pay full price for it, a hundred? sure

Games I want:
-MGS Portable
-FFT
-Lumines
-Tekken 5DR
-Loco Roco
-Crisis Core (if it doesnt suck)
-Joan D'Arc
staff
pixel
All I want for Christmas is my PSP....

...my PSP...

....my...PS.....P....
pixel
Well Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection is pretty good to play against randoms in public, that is until you get sick of the dodgy diagonals.

All the ported games are fun to play, until you realise you can probably "acquire" them for a much cheaper price.

All the GTA stories games is still the same GTA, which is rather boring.

Lumines can only be taken so far.

At least MGS: Portable Ops looks good and Ac!d wasn't bad from what I heard.

And hey, PSPs can be easily hacked into, that's pretty good right?

All in all, the PSP was never might to be a real portable games system. I was just a toned down PS2 with some added bells and whistles that could fit in one's pocket.

Why do people buy them? Well it has reached its place as a cool trendy item which was greatly helped by the ability to play music and watch movies, which was marketed to a great extent over here in Aussie land. Multi functionality is king and the PSP takes the cake for that, the extremely shiny games helped as well.

It really isn't that bad a system and does have some unique games. Might I suggest Exit or Tokobot?
pixel
It's "Are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president?" and boy would I love to have a version of Bad Dudes on the DS. They had it perfect back then. Ninjas kidnapping the President? Utter genius!
staff
pixel
If Sony didn't squelch emulation with their goddamn firmware updates then I would have never started this discussion. A portable that can play any GBA, SNES, or NES game would be the ultimate system.
pixel
it almosts makes me think they arent evil enough..
pixel
Then downgrade it Matt!
vip
pixel
I like to play Monster Hunter, with all my friends. Heh heh heh. I suggest that Battlefield game, and Killzone: Liberation. Yum. Also, ATV Offroad Fury rocks. As does the new versions of Megaman. I want to try out Tomb Raider Legends, but I have bad feelings about the camera-angles.
staff
pixel
Quale said:
Then downgrade it Matt!

Oh, I still have the original firmware. I haven't bought any games that needed updates! With all the upgrades, Sony frustrated emulation developers and effectively killed the emulation movement before a good emulator was at hand :*(
vip
pixel
jeriaska said:
Moreover, a year from now when you can download just about any game for virtual console or ps3 for 10 bucks, itunes style, there won't be much financial incentive for refurbishing older games, I imagine. Xavi, if you have any insights on the matter I'm all ears.

That will always depend on the company. Lets say you are going to port a game over to X-Box Live arcade:
- You're expected to include widescreen support and 720p resolution minimum
- You're encouraged to include online multiplayer
- You want your game to stand up a little from the rest, so maybe youll add a little something extra, but thats an exception.

Virtual console games have been getting some flak because of the lack of the above mentioned. The good thing is that the games can be updated and re-downloaded ... but think about the FF Tactics case. Its a game that is VERY easily available for the PS1, qwhich means that you can play it on your PS2/3. So the fact that is refurbished gives you a little incentive to buy it again, its like buying those Star Wars DVD's all over again. A little extra incentive can give you very large revenue... because lets face it, a re-translation, some added anime sequences and some other shit is a much, much smaller investment than ... you know, making a whole fucking game from scratch. Companies bank on that and, in many cases, outsource the whole project to an outside company (Street Fighter 2 for Live Arcade was made by Sensory Suite, here in Utah!)

So far thats my opinion, as far as insider info? Well I cant spill specific beans, but the edge of the DS versus the PSP is hard to overlook by any company. I mean, look at Square, they always support the system that sells the most, and apparently it doesn't matter if its portable or not.

The advantage of consoles now supporting low budget games means that there will be a re-emergence in garage made games. You will see a lot more homebrew stuff making it into the front lines of gaming, which means that retro titles will probably have to rise with the competition and offer some sort of twist, so that you feel that you're getting your moneys worth on an old game.

I guess all this means that emulation is fucked, really.
staff
pixel
The Raging Spaniard said:

Um, and how is that? I think that emulation will endure for a long time to come, as long as it is 0% of the cost of virtual console games. Unless there is an added feature to rereleased VC games, such as network play, I wouldn't buy them.
vip
pixel
Matt said:
The Raging Spaniard said:

Um, and how is that? I think that emulation will endure for a long time to come, as long as it is 0% of the cost of virtual console games. Unless there is an added feature to a rereleased VC games, such as network play, I wouldn't buy it.

Just because it is now so openly embraced by big corporations. I honestly would rather pay a little bit for VC titles rather than download them, just for honesty's sake ... and because I'm much more comfortable playing them on the TV.

So I guess the real question is, why were people into emulation to begin with? In my case is cause shit, I reeeally wanted to play Nintendo World Cup for the NES again, and emulation was my only option. Same with SNES games once I sold my system, so off to download I went. Now that there is, in theory, a more presentable way to get these needs taken care of, I at least don't feel so dirty about it :)

But yeah, I'll retract my statement. Emu is not necessarily fucked, its just at a stage were it needs to evolve in order to become relevant again.

Oh and by the way, if you thought the translation for FF VII was bad in English, you should have played the Spanish version, which was translated from the English version. Yeah, I know, fucked up.

We should get Paul posting again, hes the literary genius around here
pixel
I wouldn't say emu is fucked because if you look at it, people always will want to play the games of their childhood and such, even just for the nostalgia.

Xavi does raise a good point about homebrews on VC though but I don't think it will be the killing blow to emulation and/or old games on VC. Indie games have always been around, especially for PCs, yet they are never heard off, except for a few. Also the retro-gaming community is definitely larger than the indie-gaming community so retro games are much more popular. Gamers prefer to play things they have experienced before and know are good hence the main reason why emulation is much stronger.

EDIT:
TRS said:
But yeah, I'll retract my statement. Emu is not necessarily fucked, its just at a stage were it needs to evolve in order to become relevant again.

But that wouldn't be emulation anymore would it? Personally, if someone gave me an old version of Super Mario Bros. and a new version of Super Mario Bros. with cutting edge graphics and all sorts of bells and whistles; I would take the old one and mail a letter to Nintendo telling them to spend the resources on a new game.

Last edited by Quale on December 17, 2006

staff
pixel
Edit: This follows Jeriaska's post. Those two seem to have beaten me to it.

Ideally, that would be wonderful. Some of the greatest (if not THE greatest) artistry in storytelling comes from the dialogue, which has a direct impact on characterization and therefore our enjoyment of the narrative as a consequence of the believability and strength of the characters being dealt with. I'm very early into FFXII, but so far one of things I've enjoyed most is how the dialogue allows for characterization to feel natural. This is mostly on account of what I can only imagine is the superb localization effort (likewise with the bestiary, I have found) and it would be wonderful to bring old characters a greater vitality that doesn't rely as much on our imagined impressions of said characters when we played these classics at a young age. Back then, Ash Ketchum was deep.

Ultimately, though, localizing a JRPG can be quite a hectic and tedious process, such that sometimes quality is put aside in the rush to get a title out the door (especially terrible when combined with ESRB and lot check concerns). To be done properly, the business needs to be taken out of a company and replaced with people who genuinely care about being successful storytellers, and that's just something that simply can't always happen. Screenwriters have all the time they need and only need be concerned with their words, while movie makers receive years and colossal budgets to perfectly fashion their imagination.

But put both of those under one roof, replace artists with translators and programmers, stick a six month deadline on the whole process, and you're going to need one hell of a professional and passionate team to get a quality product out of the door.

Last edited by Ziyad on December 17, 2006

pixel
I don't understand the obsession with re-translations TBH. If you understand wants going on that should be fine right? People still love FFVII despite the translation and some probably know the story of heart. A good story doesn't need to have vocab out of Oxford. Why spend money on a retranslated game when they can play the original for a minimal cost, if any? Just spending that money for a slightly more understandable story and a bit of polish here and there seems pointless to me.

Plus we would have never gotten "You spoony bard" without those translators would we? Or the "All your base are belong to us." Can't say that is a good thing though.
vip
pixel
Quale said:
I don't understand the obsession with re-translations TBH. If you understand wants going on that should be fine right? People still love FFVII despite the translation and some probably know the story of heart. A good story doesn't need to have vocab out of Oxford. Why spend money on a retranslated game when they can play the original for a minimal cost, if any? Just spending that money for a slightly more understandable story and a bit of polish here and there seems pointless to me.

Plus we would have never gotten "You spoony bard" without those translators would we? Or the "All your base are belong to us." Can't say that is a good thing though.

Different strokes for different folks, Quale ;)

And yes, there will always be indy games in the industry without being mainstream because ... well, that IS the whole point of indy gaming. At work we have a bunch of people who do homebrew stuff and got really ticked off when EA bought us, because it basically killed a lot of their aspirations to do so.
vip
pixel
Oi... You see, we need more community in this medium. For the art of the medium.

Last edited by Bob on December 18, 2006

vip
pixel
Ice Burn.
vip
pixel
damn child thats just mean... oh and WTF?!
pixel
jeriaska said:
"All your base are belongs to us" lampoons the tradition of poor translations, thereby taking something chaotic and random and making it meaningful and thought-provoking. The reason "All your base" caught on was because it was a deep and provocative comment on the nature of viral warfare in the age of information, wrapped up in the guise of a harmless 8-bit Nintendo cart. All the bullshit spin-offs were created by people who got that it was popular without getting why it was brilliant. Your argument in favor of slovenly localization efforts does not hold water. Please consult wikipedia and try again.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/0/03/Aybabtu.png

Thanks very much for backing up my argument for slovenly localization as what you just said is exactly right.

I don't get you Jeriaska, on one hand you are saying it is good that there was the shit translation of Zero Wing and on the other you are saying such things should not be. Right... keep living in that little world of yours.

Also might I add, "you spoony bard" is still a mistranslation and under your theorized world of perfect translations, such a thoughtful, considerate and creative translation would have never existed, so once again, thank you for backing up my argument. You did all the work for me.

Please consult Wikipedia and try again. Also a couple of classes in English 101 would help too. Just don't take it harshly, I am just clearly better than you.

TRS said:
And yes, there will always be indy games in the industry without being mainstream because ... well, that IS the whole point of indy gaming. At work we have a bunch of people who do homebrew stuff and got really ticked off when EA bought us, because it basically killed a lot of their aspirations to do so.

At least you guys get to play with Wiis now! Sorry to go off tangent but any insider info on what's planned?

Last edited by Quale on December 19, 2006

vip
pixel
Once again Quale points out how he's right, you're wrong. It's obvious to him, why aren't we getting it? He's OBVIOUSLY the smartest person on these forums. I regret the hatred I've slung his'way; I ponder whether I could ever be as solemly modest and genius as him? I know how I could be on the same level as Quale! Screwdriver labotomy!
YOU OBVIOUSLY ARE SO FUCKING SMART AND WE ALL REALLY ENJOY READING YOUR CONSTANT EXCUSE OF "Oh, well, what you just said proves MY point." YOU'RE AN IDIOT FOR THAT CONSTANT.>_< GAWD I HATE YOU SO HARD! I SALIVATE TO THINK OF YOU GETTING SHOT IN THE HEAD AND THEN FUCKING THE SKULLWOUND!
PLEASE! DIE! ARGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGGHGHGHGHGHGHGHGHRHRHRHRHRHRRHRHRHHHGHHGHGHGGHHATEYOUSOHARDYOUAREEVIL!!!FROMTHEDEPTHSOF
SEAEVIL!!!
pixel
Bob, get out of this, your crap gets real boring to look at and please don't take out your inability to construct a proper argument out on me. Because you know, you are a retard, an absolute failure at life that should have been ass-raped to death as a baby by your parents. Is that a close enough mimicry to you Bob eh? Am I being as COOL AND AWESOME as you now?

Also yes, I am right, what Jeriaska said was flawed.
vip
pixel
ugh I hate when people all try to act superiour over one another... which makes me wonder why I still come here... which makes me realize I'm going to be harrassed again for my spelling and other stupid comments. Bob could kick all your asses in coolness because he doesn't act all condecending like the way most people here do... and well, for the most part, he is high, and come on kids thats just cool.
vip
pixel
Shit, Ive been playing the Wii for 5 months now
vip
pixel
Are you saying it's okay to ass-rape babies? Is that it? Some pedophila-Freudian slip? I want you to castrate yourself, provide a lack of testorone to fuel your degeneration. It's an almost aural pleasure to see your defamation, your greedy unceasing belligerant comatose state of living. I smoke dope but I encourage you to step in front of a bus. YOU ARE NOT INFALLIBLE YOU FUCKING DIGITAL TWO-FIFTHS OF A PERSON.
... Can I say anymore?
Here we go!
You're irrelevent, I want to see you drown in bleach, please oxidize yourself, do us all a favor.

Last edited by Bob on December 20, 2006

pixel
i dont care as long as i get to play dragon quest v&vi on my psp! so them hacker sluts best be makin a good snes emu!
pixel
Bob said:
Are you saying it's okay to ass-rape babies? Is that it? Some pedophila-Freudian slip? I want you to castrate yourself, provide a lack of testorone to fuel your degeneration. It's an almost aural pleasure to see your defamation, your greedy unceasing belligerant comatose state of living. I smoke dope but I encourage you to step in front of a bus. YOU ARE NOT INFALLIBLE YOU FUCKING DIGITAL TWO-FIFTHS OF A PERSON.
... Can I say anymore?
Here we go!
You're irrelevent, I want to see you drown in bleach, please oxidize yourself, do us all a favor.

2/10 I enjoyed the pedophilia-freudian slip quip.

Don't you get tired of failing Bob? Really, making an ass of yourself every post must get boring after a while. I suggest you give up now before you wreck yourself even further. Maybe it is because you are too doped up or stupid to realize but your e-image is falling, try not to tarnish it anymore else people might stop listening to you :) because like I have been saying, your incessant whining and cries for attention are more detrimental to yourself than to anyone else.

Also Brie, this is Bob's way of acting condescending. In fact he is probably one of the biggest egotistical bastards on this forum.
vip
pixel
Would you guys stop it already? At least Bob is entertaining
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #276 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?