March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / Final Fantasy VII / Which do you like better Final Fantasy 7 or Final Fantasy 8?

pixel
Which do you prefer and why?
staff
pixel
That's a tough one. I'm going to go with Secret of Evermore.
vip
pixel
VIII, by a good margin.

SoE can suck mah balls
staff
pixel
Well considering FFVIII was characterized more by my love affair with Diablos' "Enc-None" ability than Squall and Rinoa's cardboard love story, I'm going to go with FFVII.
staff
pixel
VIII was my first Final Fantasy in all truth, so it holds a special place in my heart. That and the people who complained about the Junction system are bitches; whiny, whiny bitches.

Last edited by Andrew on August 22, 2007

staff
pixel
I love FFVIII's story...up until it takes a one-way visit to the same crazy town that this guy went to in 1858 with that nonsensical time-compression...thing.

And as much as I give love to Enc None...this game is so goddamn easy...it's easy to never notice how fucking lame ATB turn-based is until you turn on Enc None - try turning it off again. But even that doesn't really matter except for one fight (IE Cerberus) that you can skip anyways. I leveled my benchwarmers from less than level 20 all the way to the max (99, I believe) in a few hours at the Island Closest to Hell. I came from the FFVII school of "Summons are badass but extremely hard to use, so make them count," so the FFVIII school of "Summons are badass so do them every turn for no mana cost and we'll even throw in an HP shield that boosts your abilities" school was a bit anti-climactic.

It isn't that it's a bad system..just that it seems like the game gives it up like Chamberlain.

Last edited by Serris on August 22, 2007

staff
pixel
I don't really remember FFVIII. There was a cowboy or something? A sharp-shooting cowboy? Was the cowboy the main character?
vip
pixel
It was about somebody not getting enough
staff
pixel
FFVIII is the best FF story because no one gets it. Except me. I got it. That makes me better than everyone else.
pixel
The cowboy guy was Irving. He used rifles, I think.
staff
pixel
Irvine. His name was Irvine. Obviously, your favorite must be FFVII.
staff
pixel
It isn't that I didn't get it. I just didn't like it. I thought they introduced time compression way too late into the story to make such a huge deal about it. It's like in Swordfish when you find that John Travolta's character's organization was founded by Spoiler Warning! Highlight to read: [the FBI.] It's so out of left field that it loses so much of what its impact should've been.
staff
pixel
I can understand that complaint. Although I enjoy FFVIII, it seems to be that once to get to the Lunatic Pandora, the game just kind of dies.

Also, the "out of left field" bit reminds me of the first time I beat IX. That fucking last boss.
staff
pixel
Yeah..what the fuck was that about?
vip
pixel
Kinda like when Cloud has a nervous breakdown for no reason and then gets scared of piloting a submarine?
staff
pixel
That wasn't for no reason. Cloud's parents were killed in a freak submarining accident. It's all going to be explained in Crisis Core.
vip
pixel
Well that sounds better than mom dying in a fire and dad being an apparent non issue
staff
pixel
Seriously though my major complaint with that game was all the bad guys turn out to be good guys and then you fight some guy in outer space
vip
pixel
Hmmm... I'll have to go with VII. I liked VIII well enough, but the card game got old... Junctioning vs Materia? I don't know, I got along with Materia better... I never liked that you stuck one 'summon' to each character... (if I'm remembering everything correctly)

Plus, VII had Chocobo racing & breeding... so that's nice too...
staff
pixel
No I'm pretty sure anyone who says they got it didn't get it. No one I know so far ahs figured it out except duckroll.
staff
pixel
Final Fantasy VIII, no question!

I mean, c'mon; who didn't relish every second of the academic undertaking / janitorial venture that was the incredibly fun task of reading and collecting the various issues of Weapons Monthly scattered across the planet, right?

Right . . . ?
pixel
FFIX was the best. period.
staff
pixel
FFIX was the best. period.

Gross!
pixel
well to tell u the truth i'd go with FFVII that game was very great yea FFVIII improved on the graphics and the storyline was good but i didn't really like game play it was weird :D but it was good i always watched my sister play it and the stupid ending broke me apart :'( lol jk but still yea i'd have to go with FFVII
(don't point out but it seemed that i like FFVIII more then FFVII :D)
pixel
FFVII was definitely the better game, but I still loved FFVIII, despite its well known flaws.

I do love VIII's ending, but a friend of mine hates it tremendously. He refers to the ending as being way too deus ex machina. Which I agree it is, but I figured all you haters would like to have another phrase to use against it haha.
pixel
cloud was a coward and a baby.
vip
pixel
nothing is hotter than Squall and all of you know it!
pixel
FVII, no FF has impacted me like the way it did. They are ruining it so far, so I hope CC can revive it.
vip
pixel
VIII for me, it gave me a better overall experience. VII was great in some aspects, but once I got trough the initial shocks, it all evened out to a regular good old experience.
pixel
nothing is hotter than Squall and all of you know it!
Sorry.... I prefer girls myself.
I've always thought Rikku was pretty hot.
Post a Reply
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1482 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?