March 28, 2008, Square Haven has ceased updates indefinitely. What you see below is an archived version.

Forums / News / Sakaguchi Watch: Whats Up With Away

Sakaguchi Watch: What's Up With Away
This is just outsize the scope of our coverage (although that's never stopped us before), however, Game|Life has posted some details about Away: Shuffle Dungeon, the latest from Mistwalker and a collaboration between Hironobu Sakaguchi and Artoon's Naoto Oshima.
pixel
I think it is fine to include Sakaguchi related news on the website. Even if non Square-Enix related. Because when I think Sakaguchi, I always think of Final Fantasy as a result.
staff
pixel
SOME PEOPLE don't like Sakaguchi...
pixel
And some people don't like Lance Bass. But news about him crept up on the website too. Guy who spoke a few lines for a Final Fantasy Character in SE video game < Video game made by creator of Final Fantasy and figure involved in many of SE greats, IMO.
staff
pixel
Actually, Nels, Matt was probably referring specifically to me. :)
pixel
My apologies to Matt :D

My point still stands :P
vip
pixel
Is he directing any of these Mistwalker games? "Producing" to me, in terms of the video game industry, means he's just collecting checks once the money rolls in.

All the Mistwalker stuff so far has been - let's make some grandiose claims, put some big names ahead of the titles, and then scratch our heads when people don't think it's the greatest shit ever(Blue Dragon). Sakaguchi, and all the other guys need to get it in gear and make something new and fresh or they're just going to be known for what they did 15 years ago.

We'll see what happens with Lost Odyssey. I think it was a flop in Japan and since it's coming out in less than a month without the Microsoft Hype Machineā„¢ behind it, I doubt it's going to make much of a splash.
pixel
Well, if "Producing" in video games has a similar work load (comparatively) to that of movies, he is doing a lot of work.
vip
pixel
Somehow I doubt that it's equilvalent. When you look at the list of games he's been either the executive producer or producer of, it's difficult to find any aspects that are identifiable with the games he's directed. Parasite Eve, Bushido Blade, and Chocobo's Dungeon 2? Those games couldn't be more different.

Probably as a producer, he's choosing who fills what position and supervises the overall project in terms of the production schedule. Looking around, I really wonder how much artistic input he has put forth on any of these titles.

Either way, I'd rather see him in the director's chair then as someone behind the scenes.
pixel
Please Know about you...
Post a Comment
Please log in to participate in the discussion.
Topic #1888 Invisible to nobody Closed to nobody
Login here
or cancel
Forgot your password?